Normal STFT high LTFT

01yellercobra

Established Member
Just wanted to say hotcobra03 called it in post 3.

I usually pull the blower and lower intake together. It's just easier IMO. If the EGR is still in place loosening the pipe at the exhaust manifold will give you some play to work with. I usually lift by the fuel rails. If you're by yourself you can attach the hoist to them. If you can get a buddy to help the two of you won't have a problem lifting it. I throw a towel over the crossover in case someone needs to set the unit down to re-adjust.

efnfast

Established Member
Thanks - sounds like I'll pull it in 1 piece then ... doesn't seem as bad as I was thinking it would be. I'm sure I could benefit from an intercooler cleaning, but I don't beat on the car hard (I'm still on the original clutch, haha) so it probably isn't worth it opening up that can of worms.

Bullitt1448

Established Member
I used an engine hoist to put my Whipple on, actually very easy, less chance of damaging the paint trying wrestle the blower and manifold out of the car, lifting it is one thing but getting it out of the engine bay is another,

hotcobra03

Established Member
It's harder to pull as pieces .

That intercooler will get you .

As a unit it's not that bad,,
Hood will go straight up so you can stand on fender vs bending over ,

The nose has to be lifted on angle than slide it forward and up .

Remove EGR valve and all of the vacuum harness from car ,throttle body and elbow ,

efnfast

Established Member
While I have the manifold off I think I may as well re-o-ring the coolant pipes in the coolant supply/return manifold at the front of the intake.

What do you guys torque the coolant supply/return manifold mounting bolts to?

The service manual says 89 ft-lbs (which I'm pretty sure should be in-lbs) plus 90 degrees (why would those bolts be torque to yield??)

hotcobra03

Established Member
While I have the manifold off I think I may as well re-o-ring the coolant pipes in the coolant supply/return manifold at the front of the intake.

What do you guys torque the coolant supply/return manifold mounting bolts to?

The service manual says 89 ft-lbs (which I'm pretty sure should be in-lbs) plus 90 degrees (why would those bolts be torque to yield??)
For me. I just use tight,
But use tool proper for the size bolt/nut being tightened.

Say on this job

A 1/4 inch drive hand tool.

These bolts are tiny.

The lower intake and intercooler bolts I use 1/4 in drive and just hand tight ,than slight more push with pinky finger ..

efnfast

Established Member
Got the lower intake manifold/blower out of the car. It wasn't as heavy as I was expecting, just awkward lifting it out of the car by myself, but overall wasn't too bad for my first time doing it.

What really caught me up was the wiring harness clipped to the lower manifold - took me forever to unpop the plastic christmas tree pin to release it, grrrrr.

The lower manifold hose was completely torn open, about a foot long gash .... I'm surprised the car drove and idled as well as it did and that that wasn't enough to cause a massive boost leak.

I plugged the lower port (3/8'' npt) and will install an inline catch can between the blower and the valve cover ... I do not want to mess with that lower hose again.

I also took apart the intercooler mounting block to re-o-ring it ... I'm glad I did, those o-rings were basically squares, lol, bound to be a leak waiting to happen.

Users who are viewing this thread