"normal" reading for knock sensor? question

maneuen

Established Member
car:2012 mt6 - jlt plastic intake, magnaflow street cat back exhaust, ARH long tubes with catted x-pipe.

I was data logging and appear to have my knock sensors reading .66 thus pulling timing, but not just at WOT, but when at idle, part throttle - everywhere.

right after I loaded the tune I did a slow 3rd gear roll into the throttle 1-5k, knock was at 00.00, however after I let the care idle for a few min (while sitting at idle) - the knock (I assume voltage is what the SCT livelink is looking at) went from 00 to .66 and stayed there.

Its pretty much been there any other time I data log. I ran it on a dyno - from when I started logging until 3 pulls later it was locked at .62 - didn't move.

I'm going to run some VP 101 through the tank this week to verify that its not bad gas - but these runs were done over the course of a couple weeks, so 93 octane from both Exxon and shell and different stores - so I have my doubts that its bad gas, but I'll double check.

Is this "false knock", a bad knock sensor, any other ideas

I also found two ford TSB's having to do with knock
TSB 12-18-14 - a/c compressor stretchy belt / idler replacement
TSB -12-3-1 - intermittent metallic rattle or scratching type noise - looks to replace LH timing chain tensioner

If the long tubes weren't such a pain, I could just turn the car back to stock and have ford check the two TSB's, but I'm afraid they will just flag it instead if I show up with long tubes and tuned.

Last edited:

maneuen

Established Member
Ok, since no one answered,

can someone who datalogs regularly and is happy with the way everything looks, please post their data log file and or look on an existing log to see the readings coming off the knock sensor.

I'm just trying to figure out what "normal" is

manolith

I Wanna go fast.
Established Member
I don't have a laptop so I can't log it. I didn't log any idle or part throttle on my last tune revision so I don't remember. I remember reading somewhere that this cars knock at part throttle and the computer will pull timing accordingly.

Torchy

Established Member
Was the ".66" a negative or positive number?

If no "-" sign in front of that number than its not pulling timing but adding timing.

Shaun@AED

Sounds like live link was not recording the correct PID.
Older versions of live link would record ISC correction rather than knock, which would be a small .xx number and occur during idle as that is where the correction is learned.

IE, I don't think Live Link was reading the correct PID.

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
Was the ".66" a negative or positive number?

If no "-" sign in front of that number than its not pulling timing but adding timing.
I had it explained to me yesterday that a negative value in the knock was adding timing, and that a positive value was pulling timing.

Users who are viewing this thread