NorCal Diablo Dyno Day

daves03svt

Established Member
For those of you who couldn't come out to the Predator tuning day at Apex this weekend, you missed a good time. I would just like to say thanks to Joe for putting this together, Shawn for coming up here and giving us some great tunes, and all the guys at Apex. Everyone seemed to have a great time. There were a lot of nice cars out there, and there all a little faster now. Shawn was able to get me 454rwhp and 461rwtq. And this was with an extreamly safe tune. Shawn really went the extra mile to ensure I had a good tune. I know some of you guys got some good numbers as well, so lets post them up and see who is the king of the hill. Again, thanks to everyone who helped to put this together, as well as everyone who came out. I had a ton of fun.:beer:

Last edited:

MineralGrey03

Established Member
Thanks Joe for setting everything up and thanks Bill, Vince, etal (APEX Motorsports) for hosting the event. It was great.

However, I really would like to send props to Shawn Ellis of SOCAL Diablo. He did an absolute awesome job.

The boys and I ended up installing all the blower stuff, new plugs, belt, etc., Friday night and Saturday morning (2:30am).

Shawn loaded a conservative tune based on our mods. Hooked her up, let her rip and had to abort, went crazy lean. He added more fuel than he ever had to a Cobra and tried again. ABORT, ABORT, too lean, too lean. Needless to say butterflies were full-bore because we had done all the work ourselves on a $10,000 motor. What had we screwed up?

To make a long story short, my CAI was not up to the task with all the changes. Luckily APEX a new one that we could buy and my son and I had the old one out and the new one in minutes and prayed. Sure enough, the car was way fat and could only muster 422 hp. Shawn played with the tune and bingo 487 hp and 476 tq. Turns out we also had belt slip (read no idler) so we couldn't hit the 500 mark. Maybe next time.

I can't say enough about Shawn Ellis of SOCAL Diablo, without him the car wouldn't be as close. No run was made but a little extra fuel was added between 3k and 4.5k to keep it safe. I would definitely recommend Shawn to anyone. Now if I only knew how to post the dyno the story would be complete.

Juiced-03

Established Member
Originally posted by daves03svt
For those of you who couldn't come out to the Predator tuning day at Apex this weekend, you missed a good time. I would just like to say thanks to Joe for putting this together, Shawn for coming up here and giving us some great tunes, and all the guys at Apex. Everyone seemed to have a great time. There were a lot of nice cars out there, and there all a little faster now. Shawn was able to get me 554rwhp and 561rwtq. And this was with an extreamly safe tune. Shawn really went the extra mile to ensure I had a good tune. I know some of you guys got some good numbers as well, so lets post them up and see who is the king of the hill. Again, thanks to everyone who helped to put this together, as well as everyone who came out. I had a ton of fun.:beer:

Nice! What are your mods? Is this SAE or STD?

VENOM98

NOVI POWER
Established Member
It was a pleasure meeting everyone there, I had a great time getting to know all of you. Again, thanks to Apex for hosting this event and for being so accomodating and professional...............

Chris C

Established Member
i wish i was there i work right down the street... I thought this event was in march from some odd reason. :bash: :bash: good #'s.

Mineralgray: how much boost are u pushing out of the apten?

MineralGrey03

Established Member
Shawn said we were only pushing 12lbs at WOT. It should have been 14lbs with the 2.8, however the belt slip monster raised it's ugly head.

Here's the dyno

Dyno2-14-04.jpg

Blu50Stang

Happiness is being blown
Established Member
I didn't tune, but I came by for a little while to check it all out. Did anyone else get any pics?

VENOM98

NOVI POWER
Established Member
Damn, didn't know that was you Ross! Its good to see that there was another fellow WH member there.........:rockon:

Blu50Stang

Happiness is being blown
Established Member
Originally posted by VENOM98
Damn, didn't know that was you Ross! Its good to see that there was another fellow WH member there.........:rockon:

:beer: I'll be sure to come by and introduce myself next time. Maybe at Knott's.

onerichrunner

Banned
Originally posted by MineralGrey03
Thanks Joe for setting everything up and thanks Bill, Vince, etal (APEX Motorsports) for hosting the event. It was great.

However, I really would like to send props to Shawn Ellis of SOCAL Diablo. He did an absolute awesome job.

The boys and I ended up installing all the blower stuff, new plugs, belt, etc., Friday night and Saturday morning (2:30am).

Shawn loaded a conservative tune based on our mods. Hooked her up, let her rip and had to abort, went crazy lean. He added more fuel than he ever had to a Cobra and tried again. ABORT, ABORT, too lean, too lean. Needless to say butterflies were full-bore because we had done all the work ourselves on a $10,000 motor. What had we screwed up?

To make a long story short, my CAI was not up to the task with all the changes. Luckily APEX a new one that we could buy and my son and I had the old one out and the new one in minutes and prayed. Sure enough, the car was way fat and could only muster 422 hp. Shawn played with the tune and bingo 487 hp and 476 tq. Turns out we also had belt slip (read no idler) so we couldn't hit the 500 mark. Maybe next time.

I can't say enough about Shawn Ellis of SOCAL Diablo, without him the car wouldn't be as close. No run was made but a little extra fuel was added between 3k and 4.5k to keep it safe. I would definitely recommend Shawn to anyone. Now if I only knew how to post the dyno the story would be complete.

Thanks.

Damn densecharger.......

When you think the belt slip is fixed please check the air/fuel on the dyno. Remember that I already added the extra fuel in the 3500-4500 area shown in the dyno trace before you came off the dyno. With the predator you can adjust the a/f in the 2-4k rpm and 4-7k rpm. Do not add any more timing.

If you can make the trip down here I would love to check it out for you and dial it in if necessary.

Shawn

Last edited:

jmir018

GOT SVT?
Established Member
it was a great event. i didn't tune my car but still had fun hanging out with people.
thanks for everything shawn-joe

One Fast Cobra

Established Member

Thanks to all that came to the SoCal Diablo Predator Dyno Tune last weekend . You all made it a great success.
A big thanks to Shawn Ellis for working his magic; to Bill and Vince of Apex Motorsports for their part in hosting the event; and to Tony Gelardi for his "Hot Rod BBQ" and his cooking of the NY Steaks, Hebrew Ntl Franks and the hamburgers.
It was all gooodd:beer: :beer: :beer::burnout: :coolman: :rockon:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread