Noobie Rebuild Options

arayray

Established Member
So I am weighing my different options on rebuilding my motor, can you guess give me some insight and opinions? As most are, this is aiming at a budget build (i know, nothing is cheap with these motors)

1: Buy used block, freshen it up (bore, deck etc), new rods/pistons - get them balanced with my crank and have the short block assembled. I would assemble the rest of the motor myself (I've never done any timing related work though)

2: Buy a built short block and again assemble the rest of the motor myself

Questions:
1: What all parts will I need for a rebuild to do it right and not worry about it down the road (timing components, heads, oil pump etc...)?
2: What compression ratio do I want to shot for?
3: What is a good recommendation on a piston/rod combo?

Goals: Drive it N/A until I can get a supercharger and stick to low boost afterwards (10 psi max)

2DXTRM

Pushrod 5.0
Established Member
Lots of ways to go about it.
Acquire another teksid block or other aluminum block.
Either have a local machine shop (that is versed in dealing with the aluminum mod blocks) machine and assemble to send the block out to reputable engine shop and get the short block done.

What type of supercharger are you considering? PD or centrifugal?

Ford Racing I believe sells a timing chain and component kit.
Upgraded oil pump with billet gears, I believe the one from TSS is the way to go.
For the cylinder heads, they might need some attention, ie. valve guides.
Also upgrading the springs. BTR (Brian Tooley Racing) sold upgraded valve springs for these mod motors (even though they focus more on the GM stuff) for a very good price.

B- heads or C-heads thats your call.

However,
How much power do you want to make?
Also what is the condition of the current engine?

Users who are viewing this thread