noob tranny question

dublekick

Established Member
Ok so I have seen a few threads that say WOT pulls in 5th and 6th gear are a no no because they are final drive gears. What does that mean? What damage will it/could it cause? Are there ways around this? I ask because I would eventually like to take the car to events like the texas mile etc.

memach1

Established Member
its less about the tranny and more about the engine overheating causing any number of terminal malfunctions

memach1

Established Member
factory engines had a tight ring gap and when subjected to a long duration wot pull could cut into the factory piston. poor head coolant over heats valve guides causing valve stem to wallow them out. blueprinted shortblock, bronze valve guides, and cylinder head coolant crossover(everyone does not believe in it, i believe it cant hurt and most problems are from leaks around the seal in the head) will take care of most problems but at elevated power levels nothing is guaranteed.

dublekick

Established Member
I see.. well right now I have MMR building me a stroker withcoated pistons. That should help a bit as well. Ill see what they can do or advise...

memach1

Established Member
dont let me spook you. these are things that could happen. it's just when it happens at 170+ mph it tends to be a lot more wild of a ride.

Users who are viewing this thread