Noob... Replacing the clutch recommended?

NEWSVTGUY

Established Member
OK I know how our clutches work and the basics as to what has to come apart. My quesation is would you recommend me to give this a shot with a couple buddies on a lift?

Also is there a write up on the replacement of a clutch in our cars?

Thanks

chrisJ

Established Member
I am still in the middle of changing the Clutch/input shaft/flywheel setup myself in my garage with only jack stands and it was not that big of a deal except for lowering and rising of the tranny back in place with only muscle. Just make sure you keep after all the harware of where it goes back in place. If you are changing the input shaft as well, get it shimmed correctly with a dial indicator. It took me about 4 days of work just because I had to leave out of the country in the middle of waiting for a new flywheel. There is a good "how to" in the driveline section of this site!

NEWSVTGUY

Established Member
I'm looking for more of a step by step write up on the best way to get to those pain in the ass bolts as well as the torque specs and what not. The vid doesn't show all the steps, just the basics of it. It's a good vid though for sure.

Thanks for the link! I have seen that vid a few times but it's good to know where I can find it :beer:

I am still in the middle of changing the Clutch/input shaft/flywheel setup myself in my garage with only jack stands and it was not that big of a deal except for lowering and rising of the tranny back in place with only muscle. Just make sure you keep after all the harware of where it goes back in place. If you are changing the input shaft as well, get it shimmed correctly with a dial indicator. It took me about 4 days of work just because I had to leave out of the country in the middle of waiting for a new flywheel. There is a good "how to" in the driveline section of this site!

I'll have a couple of my buddies to give me a hand as well as a lift and tranny jack. How much of a pain was the job? ANything I should look out for or have as far as tools? (Extentions, sockets, etc)

Care to explain? Is this bc you tried it before? Should I follow your lead and take it to the stealership and get raped in a similar manner you did a few months ago???

03Gunner

Established Member
It depends how handy you are, it's not that bad if your good at doing those type of things, and if you got the patience for it. There is also videos on youtube I think it maybe under spec clutch install for cobra, something like that.

Juruense

Banned
Care to explain? Is this bc you tried it before? Should I follow your lead and take it to the stealership and get raped in a similar manner you did a few months ago???
Why did you ask the question if you did not want to hear the answer?

Yeah, I "got raped" when I had a SVT certified Ford tech install my clutch with warranty. There will be no going back in there either since it was done right the first time. Also, the $950 I paid included some other work, do a search for the details. Maybe not the best deal but it is done right the first time.

But you go ahead and do your clutch, good luck to you. Maybe I will even post some tips for you if you lose the attitude...

Last edited:

NEWSVTGUY

Established Member
Why did you ask the question if you did not want to hear the answer?

Yeah, I "got raped" when I had a SVT certified Ford tech install my clutch with warranty. There will be no going back in there either since it was done right the first time. Also, the $950 I paid included some other work, do a search for the details. Maybe not the best deal but it is done right the first time.

But you go ahead and do your clutch, good luck to you. Maybe I will even post some tips for you if you lose the attitude...

I saw your thread on here a while ago and that in addition to the work i've had done on my vehicle in the past has made me realise that I could do just as good of a job as a professional certified installer at a shop and I know it's done right when it's back together.

I'm not trying to argue, I would just like a bit more info than "Hell NO!"

Any tip or advice would be great :beer:

Juruense

Banned
Q.: Clutch/Transmission Installation Tips For 1986 and Newer V-8 Mustangs

A.: The flywheel to crankshaft bolts must be hand-torqued to 75-85 ft./lbs. (302/351W) and 54-64 ft./lbs. (4.6L) The 10.5" pressure plate bolts must be torqued to 12-24 ft./lbs. and 11" pressure plate bolts to 33 ft./lbs. + 1/4 turn.

Be sure to use the alignment dowels in the flywheels. Pressure plate bolts and alignment dowels for the 10.5" clutch can be purchased using PN M-6397-A302. Pressure plate bolts N808969-S100 and alignment dowels D1FZ-6397-B are for the 11" pressure plate.

Evenly tighten bolts in a circular direction one turn at a time. Bellhousing alignment is crucial for proper clutch and transmission function.

Due to production tolerances of engine blocks and bellhousings, it is possible for the transmission centerline and crankshaft centerline to be misaligned. Misalignment can cause transmission gear wear, transmission jumping out of gear, driveline vibration, clutch pedal vibration, pilot bearing noise, release bearing noise or excessive clutch spin time. It may also damage the pilot bearing, transmission mainshaft bearing and clutch hub. It will also cause harsh shifting.

Before installing the bellhousing, check the block mounting surface and bellhousing surfaces for nicks, dents, paint debris, etc. These are some things that could affect the accuracy of your measurements.

Q.: How do I check bellhousing alignment?

A.: The first step is to check bellhousing face runout. You are checking for parallelism of the back of the bellhousing to the back of the block. Install the dial indicator (as shown fig.1). Rotate the crankshaft and mark down the reading. Be sure to push the crankshaft against the thrust bearing for an accurate reading. Maximum runout is .010.

The next step is checking bellhousing bore runout. You are checking to see if the bellhousing bore centerline is aligned with crankshaft centerline. Reposition the dial indicator in the bellhousing bore (as shown fig. 2). Rotate the crankshaft and mark down the readings. Maximum out of concentricity is .015. If the bore runout is out of spec. install appropriate offset dowels.

Offset alignment dowels can be purchased from Lakewood.
.007 PN 15950
.014 PN 15960
.021 PN 15970

Figure #1
bellhousingfig1.gif

Figure #2
bellhousingfig2.gif

Users who are viewing this thread