Noob Question

LaffnJack

Established Member
I have a vague idea what a torque converter is but I would appreciate it someone could tell me what it does in layman's terms. The dictionary says

"torque converter**
n.** A mechanical or hydraulic device for changing the ratio of torque to speed between the input and output shafts of a mechanism."

but that does not really explain it. Also, what is a "stall converter"?

Thanks in Advance,
-J-

MrClean

ADDICTED
Established Member
pitstain said:
its the big round thing that explodes when you have too much hp. :)

:eek: :lol: :lol: :lol: Welcome Jack, you will find a lot of useful info here. What Mods do have on your truck.

Last edited:

haybale

Don't upset Little Man!!!
Established Member
Here is a basic understanding of a TC,

There are 2 fan blades the front one attached to the crankshaft, the other attached to the tranny, as the crank shaft(front fan) spins faster the tranny fluid forces the rear fan to spin, that's why you can be in gear and hold the vehicle still at low RPM's, when the TC locks up it basically locks both fans together so your not wasting RPM's through fluid transfer between the blades. Mind you this is just for a basic understanding of a TC.

Hope this helps, If anyone has more accurate info please respond.

Last edited:

LaffnJack

Established Member
Thank you gentlemen. I appreciate the information.

Fade - I will check that site and learn.

TCsRed04 - Thanks for the welcome. I been lurking around here for a couple of months, trying to pick up as much information as I can. As for mods, she is pretty much stock. Beltech 2" shackles, DMR oil Separator, and a Maggie cat-back (goin on this weekend if it does not rain). Fabtech steering stabilizer is on it's way. :-D

-J-

Users who are viewing this thread