NOOB Question

NJ04Cobra

DUMPS FTMFW
Established Member
Hey guys,

Longtime lurker here. Just sold my 2002 GT and bought a white 2004 Cobra. I have some questions and was hoping I was in the right spot...I know there are a lot of guys with good knowledge over here.

Anyway, this Cobra is already worked on, and I am trying to figure out exactly what was done to it. I think it has 4.10s, it's at 2500rpm in 6th at 80 mph. Does that sound right for 4.10s?
Also, I know the pulley was changed, but is there a way to know what size it is? It has a guage pod with an A/F meter and a boost meter. It has an O/R Prochamber with no cats into DUMPS:kaboom: Can you say LOUD lol??? I need to change the exhaust since I live in NJ, but I have to say it does sound wicked. Also, it has Sumithomo 315s in the back on knock off 10.5 rims. It spins 3rd on dry pavement, and burns gas like a mofo.

Any of you guys care to shed your wisdom??
Thanks in advance and I'll post some pics when I can.

Freddy

PhillyCobra

Established Member
Hi and welcome.

2500 rpm at 80 mph is stock gearing (3.55) if your tires are stock diameter (equates to 32 mph/1000 revs in 6th). Pulley diameter is easiest just to measure. Most aftermarket pulleys are 2.76- 2.80 or 2.93-3.00 inches. Stock is 3.50.

Think it's always a good idea to get a new car dyno tuned to make sure everything is OK. If you're changing exhaust (such as adding new mid pipe with cats) would do that before you dyno, but take it real easy until then. These cars can blow up real easy if pushed too hard and not tuned right. Make sure you use good quality 92 or 93 octane fuel. Would also consider changing fuel filter, as well as engine fluids

Be real careful in cold weather- you can get sideways in an instant.

Have fun!

NJ04Cobra

DUMPS FTMFW
Established Member
Hey Philly thanks for the response!!
I went to school in Philly, some of the best street racing I have ever been involved in.

Anyway, the car isn't running stock tires, it's on 315/35/17s now. And considering 3rd gear will spin I think I have something extra.

I have to change the exhaust and yes I will have it tuned, probably by Crazy Horse in Perth Amboy NJ. Maybe JDM in Freehold?? Any feedback on that?

I will change the fluids, and I am doing the brake pads tonight. It's also set to turn the traction control off permanently, I need to fix that!

LT1KILLER

dirt man
Established Member
Careful if you set the traction control to reset and come on every time because it pulls fuel from the engine when it engages and could be bad. I would leave it off and turn it on when you want it on.

NJ04Cobra

DUMPS FTMFW
Established Member
LT1KILLER said:
Careful if you set the traction control to reset and come on every time because it pulls fuel from the engine when it engages and could be bad. I would leave it off and turn it on when you want it on.

I agree, that's exactly what I would like. Just don't know how to program it back lol.

Also, what color should the injectors off of the fuel rail be? Mine are bright blue. Is that stock?? Also, it is not breaking up on the gas, how will I know if the tune is proper for the set up on the car? I do not want to do any damage.

This is exactly the type of feedback I was looking for. You guys are great:pepper:

Fred

VoodooSNK

Established Member
LT1KILLER said:
It does not cut fuel from the engine, that would be retarded. It cuts spark.

NJ04Cobra

DUMPS FTMFW
Established Member
GodStang said:
No my 4.10s @ 80mph is like 3500-4000 rpms.

OK, so you think I'm running the 3.55s? If so, why am I spinning 3rd consistently on the gas?

What tires do you guys reccommend that are NOT drag radials as I will be driving this often and sometimes in the rain?

NJ04Cobra

DUMPS FTMFW
Established Member
VoodooSNK said:
It does not cut fuel from the engine, that would be retarded. It cuts spark.

Can a tuning shop access that or would I need a Diablo Sport programmer to turn that back on?
Sorry for the stupid questions...bear with me:kaboom:

PhillyCobra

Established Member
Traction control can be programmed by tuner- when you take car in for dyno tune. It's merely turned on or off in the tune. If on, you then control it with the TC button- useful to have in a daily driver in our climate.

You break traction in 3rd gear because these cars, when pullied, have outrageous torque! You don't need 4.10's.

Both Crazy Horse and JDM are excellent.

For everyday use, wet traction and reasonable wear, alot of use Goodyear GS D3 tires.

Good luck.

NJ04Cobra

DUMPS FTMFW
Established Member
Thank you bro...I will look for that. There are 3 holes cut into the plastic next to the power supply. One about 1/2 inch, then one on each side just big enough for a wire to pass through. Any ideas on what was there??

I am coming to realize this car has seen some srious track time, and I am getting worried about driveline issues. Do the half shafts give any warnings if they have been beaten up badly? ALso, would I still hear the rear end whine like in a straight 8.8 if it's been abused? I hear a slight whine coming out of the back when I barely hit the gas while cruising. Could be tires...or could it be the rear????:uh oh:

VoodooSNK

Established Member
The IRS is a pretty loud system as it is and the T56 is pretty commonly known for having knocks and stuff, I wouldn't be too worried about the driveline. I would do a rear diffrential brace if you don't have one, and just be careful about wheel hop. Wheel hop is what breaks the axles more than anything.

NJ04Cobra

DUMPS FTMFW
Established Member
PhillyCobra said:
Traction control can be programmed by tuner- when you take car in for dyno tune. It's merely turned on or off in the tune. If on, you then control it with the TC button- useful to have in a daily driver in our climate.

You break traction in 3rd gear because these cars, when pullied, have outrageous torque! You don't need 4.10's.

Both Crazy Horse and JDM are excellent.

For everyday use, wet traction and reasonable wear, alot of use Goodyear GS D3 tires.

Good luck.

LOL....I know it has torque....but this thing is crazy and I've driven track cars before lol. But I guess I now know what all the Terminator guys have been going crazy over.

I will look into the D3s.
THANK YOU GUYS SO MUCH FOR YOUR FEEDBACK. I TRULY APPRECIATE IT:rockon:

VoodooSNK

Established Member
GS D3's are going to run you about $200+/ea not to mention they are on a national shortage and you will have to wait a while to get them, the Kumho Ecsta MX's are alot cheaper and almost as nice of a tire and they are about $130/ea.

No Such Luck

GMR Performance
Established Member
NJ04Cobra said:
Hey guys,

Longtime lurker here. Just sold my 2002 GT and bought a white 2004 Cobra. I have some questions and was hoping I was in the right spot...I know there are a lot of guys with good knowledge over here.

Anyway, this Cobra is already worked on, and I am trying to figure out exactly what was done to it. I think it has 4.10s, it's at 2500rpm in 6th at 80 mph. Does that sound right for 4.10s?
Also, I know the pulley was changed, but is there a way to know what size it is? It has a guage pod with an A/F meter and a boost meter. It has an O/R Prochamber with no cats into DUMPS:kaboom: Can you say LOUD lol??? I need to change the exhaust since I live in NJ, but I have to say it does sound wicked. Also, it has Sumithomo 315s in the back on knock off 10.5 rims. It spins 3rd on dry pavement, and burns gas like a mofo.

Any of you guys care to shed your wisdom??
Thanks in advance and I'll post some pics when I can.

Freddy
Welcome... What part of NJ do you live??? I live in Old Bridge. (Central)

NJ04Cobra

DUMPS FTMFW
Established Member
No Such Luck said:
Welcome... What part of NJ do you live??? I live in Old Bridge. (Central)

Hey thank you!

I am up near Clark. Wouls love to have a local Cobra guy check over the car with me. You meetin up anywhere soon weather permitting?

Fred

NJ04Cobra

DUMPS FTMFW
Established Member
VoodooSNK said:
GS D3's are going to run you about $200+/ea not to mention they are on a national shortage and you will have to wait a while to get them, the Kumho Ecsta MX's are alot cheaper and almost as nice of a tire and they are about $130/ea.

I just checked Tire Rack, my Sumitomo's actually rated better according to them lol. I will look into the Kumho's too.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread