Noob needs guidance

termin8rdsg

Established Member
Hi guys

I've been given the go ahead to buy a porter cable kit by the wife. I've seen a few different kits of various sites. Any recommendations? The budget is 200-250. The vehicles I will be detailing are a 2003 dsg cobra, 2008 white escape and 2009 f150 bright blue. I'm looking towards the experts for some guidance prior to a purchase. Where do you recommend purchasing a kit as well? I've seen some on auto geek but I really don't care where I buy one.

NateTermi

BF3- NateTermi (ps3)
Established Member
I've done some research on this a couple months ago and never came up with the "sure" answer so I'm pretty curious about this as well.

TransAxle

Shine Auto Salon
Established Member
Any kit you get in that price range is going to be a start kit and not enough to do a full go on one vehicle. The Porter Cable is a good starter Orbital Buffer to go with. Once you learn the ends and outs you will be able to really clean up your paint. But since they only get you 3 pads and 1-3 microfibers, thats enough to do about 40% of a car. The pads will only last about 2-3 panels till you will have to clean them and then let them dry. So it might take you the course of a weekend to get it fully done. But if your wanting to stay in that budget range and learn everything its a great start. Now if you get your budget up to $400 you will be a lot better off.

Now if you have more specific questions, I can answer them more indepth, but off hand your question is rather vague.

Last edited:

03vertsnake

Driver
Established Member
My girlfriend bought me one from Chemical Guys. Comes with a few pads, pad cleaner and pad conditioner and 2 microfibers. She got it for me on Black Friday and they tossed in a wax of her choice (She got the Butter Wet Wax). But that was just a starting point.

Chemical Guys makes some really good products. I looked at their website quite often to see when they were having sales and discounts on things and basically picked things up as they went on sale. I got a lot of nice products throughout the winter for cheap.

Check out the PC though. It came in at being the cheapest i had found that cam with the most.

Porter Cable 7424 & Foam Pad Kit - Car Buffer Porter Cable 7424XP & Pad Kit FREE BONUS

termin8rdsg

Established Member
Thanks for the replies, I will try out the chem guys package and see how it turns out. Thanks again for the replies!!

jrock817

The Sandman
Established Member
for my pc, i like using menzerna polishes. they are very easy to work with, and the colors you will be doing, SIP and po85rd should be more than enough with orange/white pads. go to autopia.org, they have tons of how to's, and you can really get a handle of what you are gonna do before its done. the key is prep, and if you do your homework for products etc... youll work faster, and be able to get through a car without running to your computer (like i did my first time)

FastRedPonyCar