Non-SVT mechanical question

RSXFMCJWR

Benchracer Extraordinaire
Established Member
I just bought a 2003 Jeep Wrangler with the 4.0L inline 6 engine as a weekend toy. The engine is making an odd whine that sounds like a pulley whine, but it's a little odd. It isn't belt squeal and the belt looks great, but the whine is almost like how a power steering pump sounds when it is just starting to have issues. BUT....the sound is decently loud at idle, but when the A/C clutch kicks on....the sound completely disappears. When I turn the steering wheel and make the power steering work, the sound disappears. It's almost as if any time a part puts some resistance on the pulley system, the whine goes away.

Any clues as to could what it could be?

Nick01cobra

Established Member
I would get a mechanics stethoscope or a long screwdriver and put at the automatic belt tensioner and see if the noise is coming from there. Or maybe the idler pulley. Those are the only two that I can think of, based on your description of the issue. Also even though the belt looks good it can still make noise. So maybe spray some WD40 on the belt while it is running, careful not to spray directly down on the belt as it could spray the WD40 all over. So check the tensioner, idler pulley, and spray belt with WD40. Do all of these with the engine on. Let me know what you come up with. You can PM me if you want. I use to be a service tech and I work at an auto parts store.

Sent from my SM-G900T using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Nick01cobra

Established Member
Also don't put the stethoscope or screwdriver directly on the pulley itself. Either on the nut or bracket. Anything stationary. Just being specific to cover my ass. Not saying that you don't know how to do this properly so please don't take it that way. Just trying to help you out and point you in the right direction. Good luck and let me know how it goes.

Sent from my SM-G900T using the svtperformance.com mobile app

RSXFMCJWR

Benchracer Extraordinaire
Established Member
Thanks, i will check those out tomorrow. If it is o e of those pulleys, is it probably a bearing in the pulley? If so, probably replacing the pulling completely is in order, huh?

_Snake_

Established Member
Sounds like it could be a pulley bearing. Had a similar issue on one our vehicles.

And you're correct in that it's a matter of replacing the pulley.

Users who are viewing this thread