non mustang related- chev malibu Q

the gillz

_
Established Member
Car: 2004 malibu classic 4cyl 2.2L

Need new "used" motor, wife toasted the engine. Mechanic over the phone said to check if the motor has an egr valve, I told him I thought they all did. How can i verify this? Is there a code in the vin or something, or does someone know what this looks like. Any help appreciated.

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
try ehow on replacing the egr valve if it does indeed have one. if it does and you need it lmk, uncle works at a pick in ppol place here in town (SA)...

ford_racer

King of SVTP
Established Member
try ehow on replacing the egr valve if it does indeed have one. if it does and you need it lmk, uncle works at a pick in ppol place here in town (SA)...

He needs a motor, not an EGR valve. He needs to know if his current engine has one so that he can get the correct replacement motor.

Edit: OP, call the dealership and ask for the parts department. Talk to one of the parts guys. He should be able to look up your specific vehicle and tell you the details on your car.

Last edited:

the gillz

_
Established Member
ok i think i verified its a non egr motor thanks for everyones help. I told lobra wifey ran the car for about a day with NO oil. Im pretty sure she turned the internals into pencil shavings. sounded like the beverly hillbiliies when she made it around the corner. she has the audacity to say " why dont we just go get a new car?" at that point i was just disgusted with her and if by some wierd chance she had a pair of nuts i would have seriously kicked her in them. then i got blamed for it because its my job to check the cars :burn:

ford_racer

King of SVTP
Established Member
Get her something like I had when I started out driving, a 71 Ford with a 360 that ate 3 quarts of oil a week and would start making noise when it needed oil.

She will:

A. Learn to like her Malibu because she cannot live without power steering and power breaks and no power to get into traffic

B. Learn how to maintain her car.

Users who are viewing this thread