noisy valve train

TX93Cobra

Established Member
hey guys i was wondering if you guys hear tapping from the rockers quite a bit when stopped and the motor is warm? i just dont know if thats the way it should be or not, i hear that there should be some chatter from them and some people say no.

TX93Cobra

Established Member
i can hear it off of other cars while im stopped at lights...its not running hot or anything. just didnt know if other 93 cobras were the same

geoffc

Established Member
Have you done any work to the motor? Valvetrain geometry might be off.
If you're still stock, how many miles are on the motor? The rollers in the rockers could be wearing.

TX93Cobra

Established Member
just had the motor built. everything internally is new. probably about 6k miles on the motor. the builder said i might have to shim them so maybe thats just it...

TX93Cobra

Established Member
no. im getn plenty of oil up there. its done it since i got the motor. i guess im gna pull the vcovers and check it out, i just hope my engine builder put everything in right. i would have assumed it would have screwed up by now if he didnt and its a nice strong motor.

red95gts

Established Member
just had the motor built. everything internally is new. probably about 6k miles on the motor. the builder said i might have to shim them so maybe thats just it...

Umm...why didn't he shim them?? It's not a matter of "might" having to shim them. You either do or you don't and that's determined when setting up the valvetrain.

I would take a look and verify the valve adjustment if I were you.

red95gts

Established Member
If your rockers are mis-adjusted, it's not going to fix itself - no matter how many miles you put on the motor.

TX93Cobra

Established Member
If your rockers are mis-adjusted, it's not going to fix itself - no matter how many miles you put on the motor.

yes i know this. i meant... that when the motor was put together he said things might loosen up and to go back in and shim them. thats what im about to check. its not loud at all, which might be just slight harmonics or something because the valve covers are short. just me probably being picky

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
The stock rockers are notoriously noisy, especially with stock valve covers. If they needed shimming, it should have been done during initial setup.

With that being said, I'm guessing a little shimming might be inorder if they are louder than you remember.

TX93Cobra

Established Member
no when i had the motor built i had the stock crane ones replaced because i think they were warped or something... the rockers are adjusted correctly.. maybe its just me picky... lol anyone know any valve cover gaskets that will muffle the valve train sound?? or if the ones that say cobra on them are good??

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
The 94 cobra valve covers were insulated to muffle the valvetrain better. You might try a set of them.

I believe the "cobra" covers you are talking about are tall enough to not clear the stock upper intake?

Users who are viewing this thread