Noisy top end whipple

Jiffy

Established Member
Hi guys
I bought a Gen1 2.3 Whipple from the forum about a year ago, it was rebuilt before I bought it and had about 2500 miles on it - I have no reason to doubt the seller and he provided a receipt. I got the blower installed in January and I've had no end of trouble getting the tune right since then. Literally the car has done less than 200 miles since then. The most recent issue was a heater circuit in one of the o2 sensors was bad so it wouldn't work when cold and would cause over-rich on that bank until it heated up enough to work. The o2 sensors have been replaced and now it seems ok apart from a new, more ominous issue:

When idling, there is an ominous rumble (sounds like a bearing noise) coming from the top of the engine or the blower - it disappears when the revs build, and the blower/motor sounds great when you're 'on it' - but the noise is scaring the shit out of me. If I remove the blower belt, the engine is quiet, and all the idler pulleys seem to spin freely.

If I grab the blower pulley by hand, and spin it, it sounds/feels fine, however there is the barest suggestion of lash if I reverse direction repeatedly on the pulley by hand. Should there be any? The blower vanes were clean and unmarked when it went on the motor....

Any thoughts?

Mpoitrast87

Established Member
idk if all blowers are the same. But my 2.8 KB has a very small amount of play when shifting back and forth. I believe its normal. As for the noise id take a stethoscope or screw driver and try and pin point where the noise is coming from.

Users who are viewing this thread