Noisy MM coilovers driving me nuts...solutions?

Badgts

Ferrari Slayer
Established Member
I've had the front MM coilovers installed for several months now and I'm so sick of the friggin' noise they make (rattling at low speeds) I'm about to take them off and throw in the trash. I really enjoy the ability to set the ride height and will be taking the car to numerous road course events starting next year, so I would like to keep them if possible, but the car is daily driven and the noise is so bad that I am embarrased to have anyone ride in the car. Has anyone else out there come up with a solution to decrease or eliminate this? The kit was installed over the stock shocks and the install was done exactly per MM's instructions. I attribute the noise to the threaded collar which resides over the strut housing, but I don't know for sure. Since the collar is not attached to anything and fits loosely over the strut body it is allowed to mover laterally and contact the strut housing, which is what I think the source of the noise is. I'm considering taking it back apart and finding some way to make the collar fit snugly over the strut housing (by wrapping tape around the strut housing or filling the gap with something to eliminate the means of lateral movement). Anyone done something similar?

I know there are other products out there which don't have this issue (SLA suspension, air suspension, etc.), but cost is a factor here. Are there any direct replacement struts out there which have a threaded body (i.e. don't need a threaded collar for coilover springs)? Or is there something else that may cause the relentless rattling I am experiencing? Any reasonable advice or input is appreciated.

Ocho Cinco
Established Member
Maybe you should check to make sure everything is tightened down all the way. There are a lot of components when it comes to coil overs, and many torquing is needed. I also heard from my alignment guy that every time you adjust the ride height you throw your alignment off.

slitherin' 03

Banned
Ahhh...finally another with the same problems I had for two years. I did EVERYTHING to try and resolve it. New mm lower control arms, new rack bushings...everything.

QUESTION:

Do you have the factory struts??? I did. And that was my problem. The tolerances in the factory struts are too low to handle the forces of the coilover setup. Hence, all the noise. They fail. So after talking with MM I finally got the proper struts. They are expensive but worth it.

Let me know how you make out.

MaximumVelocity

Mod motor convert
Established Member
Also, check the top hats on the coilovers. If you don't have the correct spacers, the hats can contact the inner fenderwell. You can just jack up the car and use a mirror and light to look at the gold anodized hat (the inner edge) for rubbing.

cobra4ever

Established Member
Don't forget to check for proper clearance of the spring up in the driver's side shock tower. Look for signs of wear on the spring and clearance as necessary - solved my problem - that and the stock strut clearances. After about 20k miles of street driving the stock struts wobble and bind hence the noise.

mrose75

Established Member
I was going to recommend calling MM. Slitheren answered the question it seems. I have had no problems out of mine.

BLKXTC

Established Member
I had a full k-member and coilover kit on my car. Made so much noise i put the stock k-member back in it. Mine was AJE with all QA1? Hope you find the solution man.

Badgts

Ferrari Slayer
Established Member
Ahhh...finally another with the same problems I had for two years. I did EVERYTHING to try and resolve it. New mm lower control arms, new rack bushings...everything.

QUESTION:

Do you have the factory struts??? I did. And that was my problem. The tolerances in the factory struts are too low to handle the forces of the coilover setup. Hence, all the noise. They fail. So after talking with MM I finally got the proper struts. They are expensive but worth it.

Let me know how you make out.

Yes, I am still using the stock struts, but looking into alternatives. What struts did MM recommend?

My struts were likely getting close to being worn out before the coilover install, so not surprised if they are the culprit. I double checked everything (twice) after the initial installation so I can say with confidence nothing is loose. There is also no rubbing or contact anywhere. I have been periodically checking (mirror and flashlight in hand) and nothing seems to be making contact. All indicators point to the struts (or overall coilover strut assembly).

Kobra Khan

Krazy SVT Poster!
Established Member
The coilover sleeve should fit over the strut very tight. So much so, that it's a PITA to remove it from the strut if you ever had to. As others have said, the struts are the culprit.

Jroc

Established Member
When I first got my C/O's I had a bad noise coming from my left strut tower.

Here was my problem. Probably not yours, I'm just showing you mine. When everything is setup right MM C/O's are not noisy.
hpim0133.jpg

Badgts

Ferrari Slayer
Established Member
thanks for the info everyone. looks like I may try the HD Bilstiens to see if that solves my noise problem. unfortunately I have to wait a few months before I can make the swap. keeping my fingers crossed...

skaarew04SVT

Not quite fast enough
Established Member
thanks for the info everyone. looks like I may try the HD Bilstiens to see if that solves my noise problem. unfortunately I have to wait a few months before I can make the swap. keeping my fingers crossed...

HD billsteins are exactly like the stock struts. go with the MM sport dampners (depending on what springs u have in there now)

Last edited:

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member

Why dont you take the advice given here about checking clearances first instead of throwing parts at it. If you are going to replace the struts, why not go with a set of adjustable Tokicos or something similar? I wouldnt put another set of bilsteins in there. The only coilovers and CC plates that have never made noise was the MM stuff that I have installed in a bunch of cars. Sounds like you have a clearance issue like others stated. Check to see if the spring is rubbing the inner fender. Also check to see if the cone is contacting the bolts for the CC plates from underneath. You must check this at ride height, you cannot do it with the suspension hanging. Sounds like an installation problem and not a part failure.

skaarew04SVT

Not quite fast enough
Established Member
Why dont you take the advice given here about checking clearances first instead of throwing parts at it. If you are going to replace the struts, why not go with a set of adjustable Tokicos or something similar? I wouldnt put another set of bilsteins in there. The only coilovers and CC plates that have never made noise was the MM stuff that I have installed in a bunch of cars. Sounds like you have a clearance issue like others stated. Check to see if the spring is rubbing the inner fender. Also check to see if the cone is contacting the bolts for the CC plates from underneath. You must check this at ride height, you cannot do it with the suspension hanging. Sounds like an installation problem and not a part failure.

i have to agree. just installed a set, checked clearance with suspension drooping, and compressed, steering wheel at all angles. it gets tight, must pay close attention. As well as the factory tolerances can be somewhat loose, potential trimming of excess sheet metal might be in order

slitherin' 03

Banned
The bilstein HD that MM ARE NOT the same as stock. They have a higher spec. on the valving. If you have checked and rechecked the install then it is the struts. It was the last thing I checked because I thought for sure that kind of noise could not be produced from a strut. How many miles are on the stockers? Is the noise coming from driver and passenger sides? Mine was coming from drivers side only so I swapped struts from driver to passenger and noise was gone. The noise is not a pop, or bang. It's more of a squeak and creaking sound.

I am not saying to get ONLY bilstein HD, there are many other great struts out there. Just make sure you get the proper ones that will handle the higher tolerances of the coilover setup. Call MM, they will hook you up.

Jroc

Established Member
The bilstein HD that MM ARE NOT the same as stock. They have a higher spec. on the valving. If you have checked and rechecked the install then it is the struts. It was the last thing I checked because I thought for sure that kind of noise could not be produced from a strut. How many miles are on the stockers? Is the noise coming from driver and passenger sides? Mine was coming from drivers side only so I swapped struts from driver to passenger and noise was gone. The noise is not a pop, or bang. It's more of a squeak and creaking sound.

I am not saying to get ONLY bilstein HD, there are many other great struts out there. Just make sure you get the proper ones that will handle the higher tolerances of the coilover setup. Call MM, they will hook you up.

x2.

I think MM uses Bilstein Sport shocks and Bilstein Race shock for the stiffer sprung cars, and their all setup buy MM to work best with the spring rates you are running.

Me personnally the only shocks I would consider replacing my Bilstein with are Koni Adjustables, because my opinion of Bilstein is that good.

Like the above poster said don't half-ass this and go out and buy some stock replacements or something, call MM and tell them your setup and they will hook you up to get the most out of your setup. MM has customer service second to none.

Badgts

Ferrari Slayer
Established Member

Perhaps I wasn't clear...I checked all of this already...twice...with steering input...loaded and unloaded. Not saying there is no possibility that there is contact anywhere, but I can see almost the entire area where there are possible contact points and detect no sign of rubbing. A full investigation can't be done unless the assembly is removed. I'm not throwing parts at the situation, god knows I don't have the cash for that...and is the reason I've done so much checking. And I would consider another brand of strut altogether but don't want to buy a new coilover set up (not sure if that would be required yet, however).

Badgts

Ferrari Slayer
Established Member
How many miles are on the stockers? Is the noise coming from driver and passenger sides? Mine was coming from drivers side only so I swapped struts from driver to passenger and noise was gone. The noise is not a pop, or bang. It's more of a squeak and creaking sound.

Just turned 50k miles and yes, the noise is comming from both sides. Definitely squeaking and creaking...

Users who are viewing this thread