noisy coilovers

po-po 5.0

Established Member
My car has maximum motorsport front coilovers, cc plates, and a bumpsteer kit. I'm getting a bit of noise with the steering wheel cranked on very uneven ground. Sometimes it sounds like bearing rattle, sometimes it sounds like the spring moving around. Is this normal?

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
you know thats funny. mine does that too. i noticed when i pull into my driveway i'm going super slow with the wheels turned and theres a bit of a bump/transition. the spring makes like a popping or unwinding kinda noise. don't know why...:shrug:

gmsux

Denial ain't just a river
Established Member
I recently installed the MM kmember kit with the CO's and at this point, have no noise at all. I suggest removing the CO's and inspect the retainer plates for wear or dry bearings. Also look for scraping on the springs, if evidence exists clearance the sheetmetal. my .02

po-po 5.0

Established Member
you know thats funny. mine does that too. i noticed when i pull into my driveway i'm going super slow with the wheels turned and theres a bit of a bump/transition. the spring makes like a popping or unwinding kinda noise. don't know why...:shrug:

Thats part of what I get. I assume the other noise I'm hearing is from the bumpsteer kit as they're notoriously noisy, but I just wanted to check.

SVECobraR

Established Member
The springs will rub the inside of the shock tower, mainly the driver side i believe, you can hammer it down, grind it down or live with it.

MrBrain

Corner carver
Established Member
Mine (MM here too) used to do that when I turned the wheels all the way to one side. After adjusting the heigth one time it stopped. I guess the spring wasn't settled properly. Maybe you can jack it up and turn the springs a little..?

stradt03

Established Member
The springs will rub the inside of the shock tower, mainly the driver side i believe, you can hammer it down, grind it down or live with it.

This will be the cause of the spring loading/unloading sounds 90% of the time.

Start here. I bet you see a worn spot on the springs where it is catching the sheet metal.

Users who are viewing this thread