Noises when the A/C is on

jason2004gt

Established Member
Does anyone hear a clunking sound when they have there A/C on. Mine does it every now and then. The Mach drives fine and the A/C works fine, just trying to see if anyone else has experienced this.

-Jason

jtmach1

Newb
Established Member
Yes, I've heard that exact clunk noise several times when turning the A/C on. I have no idea what it is though. ha ha....sorry, I not much help.

Charles236

Established Member
Mine has had it since new, (I currently have a little over 48,000 miles on my Mach). It doesn't affect the performance of the a/c, just sounds like a air door in the HVAC system slamming open and shut. If I recall correctly, though, the actual cause is a line hitting the firewall when the a/c compressor cycles, supposed to be a TSB fix for it. I may fix it someday, when I don't have other projects going on.

2k3mk1

Established Member
Some do it some dont (mine dont) there is a TSB to fix it but you most likely will have to ask the serv adv about it. It doesnt effect the A/C perf. other than it is annoying. Turn up the radio or get louder exhaust.lol

rmgtc01

Established Member
Yeah, I have had this on a few mustangs. It was the plate on the front of the a/c compressor being loose. (not sure if that is called the recirculate lid or not). But Basically the pulley spins freely until you engage the a/c then that plate clamps down so you are using your belt to drive it.

WHiTE03MACh

Camel Lover
Established Member
Thats the compressor clutch. It cycles on and off as the vehicle is running... the recirculate lid is on the a/c case behind the dash. Thats the different between Normal A/C and Max A/C... the recirculate door being open or closed...

Users who are viewing this thread