Noises from Driver's Side

soccer8888

Tech. Noob
Established Member
Ok, so I picked up my L about 2 weeks ago, high mileage (135k) for next to nothing. Ran like a champ all the way home (9 hr one way drive).
This past weekend I did what I always do when I buy something new, and changed the oil, brake pads and flushed the brake fluid.

Then I started it up a day later and upon cold start up I was hearing what at first sounded like rubbing noises. These went away after about 5 seconds, and it drove normally with no issues. The noise isn't squeaky, I'm having a hard time putting it into words which has made searching for the issue in previous threads a bit of a chore. Its a deeper noise, very cyclical, and does NOT change frequency with engine RPMs.

It has progressively gotten worse/louder, and now makes the noise when under normal load. If I coast, it stops after a few seconds, and if I accelerate halfway decently (not pulling a vacuum), it stops too. I'm thinking a vacuum leak somewhere, as it sounds like a hose thats maybe come off, or has a split in it.

Any ideas? I know I've given a relatively cryptic description, but short of a video, I'm not sure how else to describe it. I see no loss in power, or roughness of idle or any sort of performance degradation...so I'm really at a loss here.

A vacuum diagram would be nice to have, even if that doesn't solve this problem. Thanks in advance!

soccer8888

Tech. Noob
Established Member
Cleaned the IAC out and it ran like a champ...for about 20 minutes, and then intermittently started doing the same thing. Looks like its time for an oil separator....

soccer8888

Tech. Noob
Established Member
No dice there either...put oil separators on both sides and it still does it. Nobody has any suggestions/ideas?

Does anyone have a hi-res picture of a stock passenger side of the engine? I bought it with a breather on it where I believe the oil cap was, but I'm not sure what the factory setup looks like.

funair02

Established Member
I haven't heard that on my L...but I did have a 92 G20 that had a bad EGR that sounded and acted very similar...

good luck

soccer8888

Tech. Noob
Established Member
Any way I can check on this without doing the delete or replacing the thing? I've never heard an EGR make noise before. Thanks for the help guys!

Users who are viewing this thread