Noise with Clutch Depressed in gear only

cursixx

Established Member
After replacing a broken half shaft I have a noise coming from the transmission now.

While the clutch is engaged I don’t have any noise. When I disengage the clutch I have what sounds like a bearing grinding.

If I’m going 50 mph in 6th and press the clutch in the sound is very faint. While keep the clutch disengaged and I move the shifter into 4th gear the sound is much louder and the lower I go into the gears the louder it gets. 2nd gear sounds really bad but as soon as I engage the clutch again the sound goes away.

when I roll to a stop with the clutch disengaged in 2nd gear the sound follows the speed of the car and stops once the car stops. So there is no noise while the car is not moving and in gear.

Any ideas? From what I have read it does not sound like a TOB to me? :beer:

xavier296

Always another project.
Established Member
Usually throwout bearing noises (both bearing and sleeve) go away when the clutch is pressed in, not the other way around. I had to change my sleeve because it broke, but the noise would stop with any pedal pressure. Good luck, I didn't help at all.

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
frequently, when a half shaft breaks, the trans input shaft will bend.
10 spline or 26 spline will both do this, although usually the 10 spline will snap.

Regardless, the trans is going to have to come out.

Users who are viewing this thread