Noise when rolling - Engine Off - Clutch Depressed

MJslasherADM1N

Established Member
Need some help. This evening just by chance I heard something that concerns me. 2014 GT500

I pulled into the driveway and turned my car off. I was in first gear. I decided I needed to back up a little, with the car off still in first gear I pressed the clutch in to roll backwards. My driveway has an incline.

Rolling back slowly I hear "Clack, Clack, Clack" Faster you rolling the faster the noise. I thought I had a rock in my tite tread or the new Nitto 555 G2 tires were causing it. Not the case.

So I put it in netral and let it roll with clutch out. No noise. In neutral with clutch in, no noise.

Then I tried rolling forward in 1st with clutch in, clack, clack.

Basically if in gear with clucth in it makes a noise when rolling. Forward or backwards. It doesnt do it in Neutral.

Is this normal? Anyone ever tried it?

Bad Company

Established Member
If I'm understanding your post correctly.

1) the engine is off

2) the transmission is in gear

3) the clutch is pushed in

4) the car is moving

5) with the transmission in neutral the sound doesn't occur whether the clutch is pushed in or let out while the car is in motion

Look at the Clutch Assembly as the culprit.

With the transmission in neutral the transmission input shaft doesn't turn while the car is in motion and the engine is off. Yet with the transmission in gear and the clutch depressed the only thing you've added to the above equation is now the input shaft is turning while holding the clutch pedal down to allow it to rotate freely. It could be something as simple as some dual discs clutches do make noise between the intermediate plate mounting hardware as it rotates. Or it could be a sign of a problem starting.

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
My 2014 with 6,000 miles does the same. It seems to be coming from the passenger rear, but not 100% for sure. I also thought a rock at first. It has now done it with two sets of rims/tires. I notice it when I back out of my garage and am rolling and push the clutch in. I hadn't tried putting the trans in neutral to see if it goes away. It is annoying, but I hadn't worried about it much.

Tom

MJslasherADM1N

Established Member
Would anyone be willing to test this in their GT500 today? I really want to know if everyone has this. I think it might be normal. My car has the stocker clutch.

Engine off (Not running), in gear (Any gear), clutch pressed in, rolling forward or backwards - Listen closely. Needs to be quite so you can hear. Does it make any noise?

In Neutral it will be quite. Tested for yourself in neutral is a good benchmark for how quite things should be when you are rolling.

Is it that quite for you while rolling in gear?

Would love to have a couple people try today and report back. If its not normal I want to act on it now and see what's wrong.

Thanks to everyone that responded thus far!

NJredfire03

Established Member
Would anyone be willing to test this in their GT500 today? I really want to know if everyone has this. I think it might be normal. My car has the stocker clutch.

Engine off (Not running), in gear (Any gear), clutch pressed in, rolling forward or backwards - Listen closely. Needs to be quite so you can hear. Does it make any noise?

In Neutral it will be quite. Tested for yourself in neutral is a good benchmark for how quite things should be when you are rolling.

Is it that quite for you while rolling in gear?

Would love to have a couple people try today and report back. If its not normal I want to act on it now and see what's wrong.

Thanks to everyone that responded thus far!

No promises, but my driveway has a slight incline to it. So if not today, maybe tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snoopy49

Established Member
I agree with Bad Company. If the car is in gear, engine off, clutch depressed and the car is moving. The input shaft and the 2 clutch disks attached to the input shaft are rotating. It is probably just the 2 rotating disks rubbing against the stationary plates in the clutch assembly.

Bad Company

Established Member
I agree with Bad Company. If the car is in gear, engine off, clutch depressed and the car is moving. The input shaft and the 2 clutch disks attached to the input shaft are rotating. It is probably just the 2 rotating disks rubbing against the stationary plates in the clutch assembly.
When the clutch is depressed there isn't enough of an air gap between the friction discs and the steel plates. Without the centrifugal forces of the engine running, one of the friction discs is more than likely not moving far enough away from one of the steel plates. Thus the noise as the car is moving.

to the OP it is definitely in the clutch assembly. If you aren't not experiencing any clutch issues, drive it. You'll either have a failure in the near future or not. My guess is.........not.

Bad Company

Established Member
Let me clarify something to the OP

To date you haven't complained about having a hard time getting the car out of gear with the engine running and the clutch depressed while at a stop. You haven't complained about smelling a hot clutch after driving the car in around town driving where you're stopping and starting from traffic lights and stop signs. You haven't complained about the car wanting to creep forward at a traffic light with the clutch depressed and no pressure on the brake pedal.

These would all be signs of clutch problems where the air gap from the pressure plate to the flywheel isn't opening up to the proper amount, when you depress the clutch.

I don't know what the proper air gap is on the factory clutches. But I'm willing to bet it is 0.100" or less. A Spicer Easy Pedal II clutch assembly in a semi truck with a 15.5" dual disc clutch similar in a lot of ways to the ones in these cars. When the clutch pedal is depressed they have a total air gap of 0.080". Now that is all the pressure plate moves away from the flywheel when the clutch is depressed to releave the pressure plate clamp load on the friction discs of the clutch assembly. Divide that by the number of discs, which is 2 = 0.040". Now you still have divide that number in half to have each disc centered between the steel plates, which is now a 0.020" air gap on each side of each friction disc if everything is centered properly for zero contact between the stationary and moving parts of the clutch assembly.

The friction discs of this clutch or any other clutch will not move away from the steel plate surfaces without the centrifugal forces of the engine rotating the clutch assembly at idle speeds or higher. So as you depress the clutch the friction discs stay with the flywheel and the second friction disc is more than likely touching the intermediate plate.

You're hearing these discs move as the car moves

Otherwise you would be complaining about the list of things I've mentioned and it won't be long before the clutch fails.

MJslasherADM1N

Established Member
Thanks Bad Company. I agree with your synopsis. But wanted to check since I heard the noise.

I have no known issues with my stock clutch. My car is an animal and runs great. Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread