Noise from valve cover? Check belt bearings

Mechanic

I am a Honky
Established Member
With 144,000 on the car and winter settling in it was time to do some work on the car. Change antifreeze, hoses, clean imrcs, belt etc... the whole front and top of the motor was apart this weekend. Spun the alternator heard bearing noise so it came apart. Then I went to my idler pulley and tensioner pulley and spun those. Both bearings were extremly wore out and had a lot of play and made noise. I always heard a noise from that side of the engine and assumed it was our infamous tick. Both pulleys use a 6203 sealed bearing as well as the rear bearing on the alternator. Went to the usual autoparts stores to find the three 6203 as well as the 6303 for the front of the 4G alternator and no one had it of course (as well as the proper O-rings for the coolant x-over tube). So a stop by an alternator shop netted all four bearings. I put them in the car tonight and suddenly no more noise from that side of the motor. Paid 20 bux for all four bearings two for the worn out idler and the others for the alternator. So if you motor is making a little noise check your tensioner and idler pulley first.

Chrome98Cobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Good job, its always nice when you think you have a big problem and it turns out its something simple and obvious.

Users who are viewing this thread