Noise after spring install

grip

Established Member
I had some H&R springs installed with new bilsteins. I drove in home from the install and it was good. I drove the car again, my drive way has a small curb maybe 1 inch or so, so I easied off the drive way and drove it to the store.

Now I have a noise everytime I hit a small bump. It sounds like something is loose, but I have checked everything and everything seems to check out ok. It sounds like there no groments on the shock tower and the rod is just loose in the hole.

The only we had to do was toss the upper isos because they were in pretty bad shape, but left the lower isos on.

Any ideas?

Last edited:

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
You pretty much just nailed it...no upper iso's = more noise passed through the body.

Of course; go through and actually put a wrench on EVERYTHING to ensure that it is tight and properly installed.

With no upper iso's on the front, it is likely that you're hearing the spring walk in the seat slightly on occasions.

hyperider

Established Member
depends what kind of noise. when they installed my H&R race springs when i drove i was hearing some knocking noise. went back to the shop figured out one of the front shocks wasn't tightened all the way. they tightened it and noise was gone. we took the upper isos for the rear too but the noise is very minimal at it doesn't happened all the time.

grip

Established Member
This is in the rear. The front has both isos. The upper iso in the rear was removed because it was shot on both sides.

I see several posts here that people have removed all the isos or one of the two.

Its a hard noise to describe, its like the upper shock bushings are shot and the shock rod is moving around in the upper mount hole, but it's tight.

hyperider

Established Member
This is in the rear. The front has both isos. The upper iso in the rear was removed because it was shot on both sides.

I see several posts here that people have removed all the isos or one of the two.

Its a hard noise to describe, its like the upper shock bushings are shot and the shock rod is moving around in the upper mount hole, but it's tight.

the knocking sound was not too loud only when i hit some bumps and this is right after it got done. I went back and check all the nuts and bolts and it was tight. but the mechanic showed me that the washer under the nut was loose. so he tightened the nut again on the shock tower on the drivers side and the noise went away. mine had the top and lower isos on the front and only the bottom ones in ther rear. also he said i didn't need the bushings that came with the springs cause its bilstein shocks. i would re check all the nuts and bolts again on the front shocks to be sure. now i do hear some noise coming from the rear but not knocking, it sounds more like clang probably cause its steel to steel now with the top isos out. good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread