No warranty on Exhaust?

Ultor

Pie luver ;)
Established Member
My GF owns a 02 lightning she bought used back in March. Recently we noticed it has a bad exhaust leak, and rattles while idling with the AC on.

I tell her to take it to a ford dealer since she has a warranty. They inspect and show us that the truck has an after market exhaust (flow master), and that one of the hangers broke off, which was creating the leak and the rattle.

She calls the dealership we bought it from, and they say they will not warranty a part that is not "ford certified" even though we bought the truck under the impression it was bone stock. Now the service guy is telling her that exhaust is not covered in an extended warranty. I thought wear items like clutches, brakes... things of that nature weren't covered, but exhaust piping?
The truck has about 24K miles. 2K of those, driven by the new owner.

.... Also, for anyone who has a flow master cat back, does the piping pinch at the end just before it exits? I was thinking the guy that had the L before us, just had some flow master mufflers welded into the stock piping.

Last edited:

04SVT

Established Member
If you bought the truck from them in that condition, then I would assume they have to warranty it. I bet if you really pushed the issue, you can make them fix it.
Did they disclose to you when you bought it that it was an aftermarket exhaust and they would not warranty it? If not, they should have to fix it. Threaten to call the BBB, then do it if need be.

Mike

04SVT

Established Member
Originally posted by LIGHTNING LARRY
Exactly!! You bought a USED truck with non Ford parts on it.
Ford warranties FORD parts.

Because FORD sold it to him with theaftermarket exhaust! They didn't even tell him it was aftermarket. They have to warranty it. That's their justification for having such high prices on used cars, because they have to inspect and certify everything on the car. If they sold him a used Honda, they'd still warranty the car because they inspected and certified it.

Mike

02 Silver L

Established Member
I have 2 flows installed on my L. Just replaced the stock muffler. A little pipe work had to be done to fit them because of the odd inlet positions, but looks good. pipes were bent perfect Looks almost stock.

lightninmike

skeered to mod it
Established Member
when i was looking for my truck i found a 99 red one
real nice truck only 9600 miles on it
i didnt take it cause i found a switch in the ash tray/cup holder
(as in a flip chip) when on the test drive
so we got back to the lot and i say to the salesmen ok whats this as i open the ashtray he says oohh i am not supposed to tell you about that! WTF!!!!!
so we talked and i asked if the truck would still be under warrenty
he asked someone else and the other guy is like oh yeah its a ford chip
ha ha bull shyt
i left the truck
would have been nice to have that low of miles to start off with

Ultor

Pie luver ;)
Established Member
Yes, we bought the truck under the impression it was stock, they said nothing about an after market exhaust. I'm pretty sure my GF asked if the truck had anything at all done to it, and now that I write this out, I remember he said "no, except the alarm system".

The exhaust tips looked normal to me, I didn't really know a lot about the lightning before my GF got interested in them. Even if she did, I doubt she could tell the difference between flowmasters and stock exhaust. Honestly, I figured they inspect all the used cars, so when they say it’s "stock" considering their an SVT dealer, the truck would be stock.

Something to look out for next time were buying I guess.

Ultor

Pie luver ;)
Established Member
Originally posted by LIGHTNING LARRY
A salesman might tell you anything. It's what's on paper that counts. But good luck with your Lightning. You'll love it. :rockon:

I do love it! I get to drive it whenever I want... she even let me run it at the track a few times.... Now I just gotta convince her to modify a bit.... She already has exhaust! :p

Mastertvtech

Established Member
Why not call Flowmaster? I thought that their mufflers had a lifetime warranty. I just checked their site but didn't see anything about warranty duration.

Lew

Mastertvtech

Established Member
Oh, and if you do call, don't tell them that you are not the original owner. Tell them you bought it a while back but have no paperwork anymore as it may not be transferrable.

Lew

Users who are viewing this thread