No tolerance for slp loud mouth 1 in so cal?? plz help

SVTNewEdge01

Established Member
So I had purchased my cobra in Texas but I live in LA.. SO I had idea cali had a stricter laws for exhaust systems.. so after a long 48 hours to Texas n back i got back to LA no problem but literally 15- 20 mins after getting off the fwy I was heading home all of a sudden I see blue lights in my rear view.. you could imagine how surprised I was.. the officer told me he had been following me for about a mile and decided to pull me over because my exhaust (harassment in my opinion) I had no insurance becuz I had just gotten back from my long trip and it was a Sunday a day insurance companies take off so there was in no way possible for me too insure it.. so he ended up giving 2 infractions for no insurance n modified exhaust.. can I fight this it's a 1000 dollar ticket.. CAN ANYONE GIVE ME ANY OPTIONS??

Last edited:

jacker1991

Established Member
Funny how I had an O/R X + SLP 1s over 2 years and never got stopped once. Feeling pretty lucky after reading this.

Wish I could help you but I have never been in that situation before.

Good luck! :D

SVTNewEdge01

Established Member
Aren't aftermarkets legal that's why ppl buy them right.. so this shouldn't be an illegal modification.. the officer was planning on me to speed or run from him, as he pulled me out the car there was 2 other patrol cars behind him.. also the street he gave me the ticket in doesn't match the street on the ticket can I fight the ticket with this.. I'm not giving this city (MPK Monterey Park Killers) any of my hard earned money I'll take community service..

01yellercobra

Established Member
I'm sure you can fight the insurance. The exhaust might be harder. Are you running an O/R pipe?

gcdev

Were you covered for another vehicle? Sometimes your current policy will cover you if you drive someone else's car, depending on the insurance company. If the cobra still has Texas plates, I'd fight it.

SVTNewEdge01

Established Member
I think it might be the h pipe I would have to ask my mechanic.. I have another car I'm currently driving I've had the policy when I purchased the cobra but not sure if it covers another person's car.. it still does have its lone star plates.. thank you guys for you honest response.. I was thinking of explaining my story when it's time to see the judge

Last edited:

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
I recently bought a car in Chicago (4.5hrs away). I closed the deal, sat there in the dealer showroom and using my phone added the car to my existing policy in under 5 min. Even if your insurer doesn't offer this option, you could have called on Friday, all you needed was the VIN. I actually think you have a much better chance of fighting the exhaust ticket - IF you show up in court with paperwork showing the car has passed state inspection, meaning you had corrected the exhaust, AND a signed and dated bill of sale that proves you had just bought the car out of state.

1 Alibi 2

Veteran,...retired Navy !
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Check out:
California's Laws Regarding Modified Exhaust: ( which is too long to post here )
It lists a db level of 95.
How did the LEO " measure " the loudness of your exhaust ? Was it done IAW the Ca. laws ?
If he used a sound level meter, when was it last calibrated ?
........( out of cal. means it's readings are questionable )
Explaining how you drove for 48 hrs with no insurance will be a little harder.

Last edited:

Moose04

Established Member
I always thought if you was running cats and mufflers it was legal. I know some states have strict laws about modifying cars. Your car probably has a off-road x or h pipe. I had a off-road h pipe (no catylic converters) and Flowmaster 40 Series on my previous 01 GT. I never got pulled over for my exhaust. I was always getting pulled over for my tint and vinyls, lol. Where I'm from they don't really care how loud the vehicles are. Heck, pretty everybody down here is running straight pipe. As far as the insurance thing. As long as you can prove you just bought the car you should be able to fight that.

Last edited:

3B99SVT

Top down makes me smile
Established Member
I'm pretty sure my insurance has a "grace period" that gives me about a week to get the information on a new car to them. Ask your insurance agent. You might have been covered at the time. About the exhaust -- if you end up in court just tell the judge that you were planning on getting the car "California ready" but HAD to drive it to your house first to start the work. Not a 100% guarantee it will work since I don't have 100% faith in our legal system but it's worth a try. Good luck!!

RX1Cobra

Established Member
I'm pretty sure my insurance has a "grace period" that gives me about a week to get the information on a new car to them. Ask your insurance agent. You might have been covered at the time. About the exhaust -- if you end up in court just tell the judge that you were planning on getting the car "California ready" but HAD to drive it to your house first to start the work. Not a 100% guarantee it will work since I don't have 100% faith in our legal system but it's worth a try. Good luck!!

Most do have the grace period, think mines 30 days? I'd contact your provider about that.

SVTNewEdge01

Established Member
I was suppose to find out what mid pipe I have but I won't know til tomorrow.. I ask my co-worker today I definitely can get the insurance part of the ticket clear I just have to have it insured when I see the judge but the exhaust is different either I fix it now so that the judge knows I mean business.. or just ask for a pass possibly cuz I just don't have the means to do it right now.. I'll let you guys know what happens in a few weeks.. thanks again for everything

Users who are viewing this thread