No throttle response

Grant Wilson

Established Member
I have a 2010 GT 500 with a handful of mods and a custom tune from a locally renowned speed shop. Long story short, it has lost all throttle response. The TB servo has been replaced and the tune check for issues. I have a 70mm BBk TB. I have checked the voltage at the TPS with a reading of 1.3vdc. I did not install the TB so I don't know what the original voltage was. The shop is about 50 miles away, and right now I can only move at idle. Can I simply replace the TPS without having an effect on the tune, if that's the problem?? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...

Grant Wilson

Established Member
I have heard different opinions on the BBk. I have used their TBs on other projects with no issue. The servo motor was replaced only 3 weeks ago. That's why I suspected the TPS?

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
BBK throttle bodies are absolute garbage, junk that thing ASAP and either get a stock, FRPP or VMP

I have heard different opinions on the BBk. I have used their TBs on other projects with no issue. The servo motor was replaced only 3 weeks ago. That's why I suspected the TPS?

Asks question, gets response. Disagrees with answer:rolleyes:
Order a different throttle body.

SleeperS197

Established Member
Asks question, gets response. Disagrees with answer:rolleyes:
Order a different throttle body.
Oh brother. Dude brand doesnt matter. Even If it is the throttle body it could simply be a mechanical issue and all he’d need to do is call BBK or whomever he’s using and they’ll send him a new one. These are mechanical parts, they fail, it can happen with any car part (brand name). For all we know that thing got banged around during shipment and was unnoticeable damaged. No reason to bad mouth company brands unless. Unless their service is shit. Than that’s understandable. Lol.

HKusp

Established Member
SleeperS197, while I agree with you generally speaking, these guys around here are VERY knowledgeable with regards to the manufacturers as they relate to these cars. They for the most part, are very respectful of most brands. If they are bashing a brand, and it is more than one poster, chances are, there is a pretty good reason.

SleeperS197

Established Member
SleeperS197, while I agree with you generally speaking, these guys around here are VERY knowledgeable with regards to the manufacturers as they relate to these cars. They for the most part, are very respectful of most brands. If they are bashing a brand, and it is more than one poster, chances are, there is a pretty good reason.

I understand where you’re coming from.
The differences is these manufacturers literally bought every single mustang model, trim, and modified them with every single possible set up they could available At the end of the day even with our experience we’re still just Joe Blows. Lol.

Oiljunkie

Adrenaline junkie
Established Member
I understand where you’re coming from.
The differences is these manufacturers literally bought every single mustang model, trim, and modified them with every single possible set up they could available At the end of the day even with our experience we’re still just Joe Blows. Lol.
That only applies to stock trim. No one is modding a gt500 and then designing their TB for it.*edit: except for the companies also supplying bigger SC’s

BBK doesn’t have a great reputation with mustangs and their TB’s. Look around at what most guys are running and make your decision from there. Lots of boys here will go through a laundry list of TB’s until they find one the “like”

Op what’s your set up look like?
What servo brand did you use?

Have you logged your tps? Is it reading correctly when throttle is applied?
You should be throwing codes. What are they?

SleeperS197

Established Member
That only applies to stock trim. No one is modding a gt500 and then designing their TB for it.*edit: except for the companies also supplying bigger SC’s

BBK doesn’t have a great reputation with mustangs and their TB’s. Look around at what most guys are running and make your decision from there. Lots of boys here will go through a laundry list of TB’s until they find one the “like”

Op what’s your set up look like?
What servo brand did you use?

Have you logged your tps? Is it reading correctly when throttle is applied?
You should be throwing codes. What are they?
You’re right that’s my bad I was typing to fast at work got distracted it is stock trim. But yes “they like” is the most important part of that statement.

Grant Wilson

Established Member
This is not the first BBk I ever used. I have had it on several Mustangs I have modified in the past. Never had any problems out of them. My car is by no means the fastest ever, but I have souped her up a bit. As far as the codes go I haven't got that far yet. The car was tuned at a shop, hence I have no box or tuner of any sort. I would gladly take it back to them if I could get it out of my garage, with anything but "limp mode". Got a wrench and check engine lights, and no respone at the pedal. I am however getting a rather shaky idle. I don't bash anybody, except the occasional chevy drivers.... My next move is to get a code reader/eraser and take it from there. Not sure exactly which to get as there are so many. Lastly, I appreciate all of the responses. This is the first forum I have ever joined. Again, thanks

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
Have you tried unplugging and plugging the connectors for the throttle body just to rule out a bad connection. Do you have the OEM throttle body to throw on it to drive the car?

SleeperS197

Established Member
This is not the first BBk I ever used. I have had it on several Mustangs I have modified in the past. Never had any problems out of them. My car is by no means the fastest ever, but I have souped her up a bit. As far as the codes go I haven't got that far yet. The car was tuned at a shop, hence I have no box or tuner of any sort. I would gladly take it back to them if I could get it out of my garage, with anything but "limp mode". Got a wrench and check engine lights, and no respone at the pedal. I am however getting a rather shaky idle. I don't bash anybody, except the occasional chevy drivers.... My next move is to get a code reader/eraser and take it from there. Not sure exactly which to get as there are so many. Lastly, I appreciate all of the responses. This is the first forum I have ever joined. Again, thanks
Catmonkey clearly is the best help here. Good luck man!

Grant Wilson

Established Member
Unfortunately I do not have the old TB. I ha e checked the connectors and tried a TPS swap just to rule it out. The shop that worked on the car said that the traction control may have initiated the problem. They had it a month ago for the same problem, they changed out the TB servo, and checked out the tune for issues. They put about 100 miles on the car making sure all was good. That only leaves me to believe that the traction control threw something out of sync. That's where I am at. Going to try to pick up a code reader today. ??

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
If the car is fail-safeing, have you tried disconnecting the battery to reset KAM and see what it does? There's a good chance it's your tune. My advice, assuming you don't have a larger CAI on the car, is to buy an X4. There's usually one in the market you can pick up used. Do an update on the flash tool (download from SCT website) and install the canned tune. If you don't fail safe, it's your tune. Downloading the DTC codes will offer other clues. Since your tooner has been no help to this point, find another that knows these cars.

I'm not familiar with the BBK throttle body, but I have run them on other applications where there is no alternative. Most guys are running something different on their GT500s. It's not a 70mm either, it's 65mm which should run without a tune. If you have to buy another servo, I'd just upgrade to a67mm or 69mm VMP twin. These come with electronics.

I think your TPS is in the right range. You could see what the voltage does when you open the throttle plate by hand just to verify the voltage is smooth. These cars aren't finicky about TPS voltage at idle like the EEC-IV stuff.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Unfortunately I do not have the old TB. I ha e checked the connectors and tried a TPS swap just to rule it out. The shop that worked on the car said that the traction control may have initiated the problem. They had it a month ago for the same problem, they changed out the TB servo, and checked out the tune for issues. They put about 100 miles on the car making sure all was good. That only leaves me to believe that the traction control threw something out of sync. That's where I am at. Going to try to pick up a code reader today. ??
The GT500 is picky about throttle bodies. Stock OEM is always good to go. Ive run a VMP twin 67mm no issues, Whipple Oval Monoblade no issues with the Whipple needing to have electronics swapped. I have a KB 168 Mono that needs to be rebuilt and an L&M Twin 72mm that I have never tried. Bought it cheap as a project, but they were either the cats ass or a paper weight like your BBK.

Twins bigger than 67 seemed to have have issues for whatever reason

Either way, you'll want to pick up an OEM throttle body assembly. LMR has em pretty cheap:

https://lmr.com/item/M9926MSVT/ford...MIu_2JgYG45QIVFcNkCh21LQOFEAQYASABEgKKg_D_BwE

Install, and drive car. If same condition remains then you have an issue elsewhere. Im confidant though that its just a poor TB.

Users who are viewing this thread