No tail pipes but quiet?

9746Cobra

spinnin4Vs
Established Member
How about a way to not run tailpipes (tire clearance, weight) but still keep the exhaust from being obnoxious?

Anyone ever keep cats and run a side exhaust? Shouldn't bee too loud.

9746C

Last edited:

CobraBallz97

Established Member
heres a vid w/ all the cats in tact. I have an o/r X pipe sitting in the living room waiting to be bolted on
[ame=http://s104.photobucket.com/albums/m186/Marc_Higgs/?action=view&current=100_0835.flv]100_0835.flv video by Marc_Higgs - Photobucket[/ame]

9746Cobra

spinnin4Vs
Established Member
heres a vid w/ all the cats in tact. I have an o/r X pipe sitting in the living room waiting to be bolted on

Thanks for the vid!

Your car sounds great! Never heard of CDC before.

o/r x's don't sound good IMO. Very raspy. But you can always go back of course.

I've also thought about getting those wheels like you have. (My '96 is also white #201) Have any other pics of it?

2DXTRM

Pushrod 5.0
Established Member
Never heard of CDC before.

CDC = Classic Design Concepts.

They used to have the side exhaust kit with the side skirts for the 94-98 Mustangs, but they no longer make them. They used Dynomax SuperTurbo mufflers.

Another company (besides CDC and the old SVO/Borla (Ford Racing) setups, which is also no longer made) for side exit skirts, if you are interested in them, is ABC Exclusive. Then use a side exhaust kit of your choosing.

CobraBallz97

Established Member
Thanks for the vid!

Your car sounds great! Never heard of CDC before.

o/r x's don't sound good IMO. Very raspy. But you can always go back of course.

I've also thought about getting those wheels like you have. (My '96 is also white #201) Have any other pics of it?

Thanks man! The vid quality is horrible though. I loved how my offroad X sounded on my old Cobra w/ Mac Catback. I'm curious how my car will sound w/ the UPR o/r x pipe and the side exhaust.
Here's a few more pics.
100_0747.jpg

100_0746.jpg

100_0744.jpg

Chris _Scott

NA FTW
Established Member
I know nothing about 'quiet' exhausts...

but I am in love with how my car looks now without tailpipes!

11442_211768264947_656049947_4136335_7487269_n.jpg

11442_211774524947_656049947_4136371_3183879_n.jpg

excuse the shitty photo quality...it was uploaded to facebook via picture message.

Last edited:

9746Cobra

spinnin4Vs
Established Member
Thanks for those pics guys!

I've been thinking about making changes lately. I thought my next car was going to be a corvette (03-04 Z06's are in the low $20's with low miles) but after doing months of lurking and talking to owners I just cant do it. (I've driven a relatives 'vette several times. Nice but it has lots of problems)

What I know of corvettes:

-Chicks dig them. But only because of the style and it smells like money. They want nothing to do with it's performance, etc.

-A few chicks, (like my wife) and most men, think your a douche for driving a corvette. It is not rare for them to be right! I'm not a douche. I'm not into style, nice clothes, jewelry, watches, hair, shoes, thinking I'm better than anyone because of what I drive or own, or getting my picture taken with my lips pursed. But when driving a corvette, I almost start to feel like a douche.

-In general, Corvettes have lousy quality and reliability. They are made with the same care and quality as a fleet Chevy Malibu. As far as not breaking down or requiring repair and service, Mustangs are much better at getting you around.

Anyway, I'm not a corvette guy. I owned an 03 Cobra for three years and have driven many S-197's. I didn't like the '05-'09 Mustangs. They are so big yet the interior feels cramped. However I like the looks and interior of the new '10 Mustang. But having only a little more power than my 14 year old '96 Cobra, I'm still not interested.

But I am interested in a 2011 Mustang GT with a 5.0 and about 400hp!

Anyway, thats why I'm looking into some mods. Boy what a rant...

Last edited:

87lc2

Established Member
Bouttime09, where exactly did you cut them after the axle? I was thinking of doing this too. I dont like the look of tailpipes, but i dont want the horrible drone you get with dumps right after the muffler. How is the sound, drone ont he highway, etc? Any info you can provide would be appreciated.

Bouttime09

Oh, it's not 5.0?
Established Member
About 3 inches after the pipe turns down over the axle is where I cut mine. They point down and slightly out. The sound is great, it is amplified inside the car when you are driving with the windows down and there is no drone with the windows up (maybe hard to believe, but true). The sound is hard to explain. It seems quieter and also louder at the same time. Maybe because with the pipes it is blowing the sound right at your face when you are behind the car, but with dumps it reverbarates off of the ground...sorry I couldn't be a whole lot of help, but I can tell you I wasn't sure at first if I liked it because it SEEMED a tad quieter, but now I love it.

out99sider

Established Member
I'm running Bassani Mid length headers, Bassani x-pipe with cats, and Borla XS mufflers turned down. The car is virtually silent at idle. Cool thing about the Borla's are they have great HP but are about the quietest mufflers you can get. Everyone said I wouldnt like the turndowns but I love them. The Borlas are a one size fits all muffler, just make sure they are the right ones because they make a lot of different XS ones.

87lc2

Established Member
Thanks Bouttime, I may give it a shot, couldnt hurt. I have the MAC catback, so I can just unbolt the tailpipes and if I dont like it, I can just bolt them back on.

CobraBallz97

Established Member
Thanks Bouttime, I may give it a shot, couldnt hurt. I have the MAC catback, so I can just unbolt the tailpipes and if I dont like it, I can just bolt them back on.

I tried that w/ my Mac exhaust on my old cobra. It sounded pretty badass but the fumes are more noticeable

87lc2

Established Member
How much louder was it? Did you have an off road mid pipe? I have a catted x so maybe fumes wont be that bad. Ill give it a shot either way and see what happens

Users who are viewing this thread