no start.

mustangdan429

Established Member
i searched a few other threads to see if i could get any ideas of why it wont start. the battery is fine and the engine will crank all day. after i tried to start it i pressed on the schrader valve to see if it had fuel pressure, but fuel barely seeped out. so now i would like to think the fuel pump is bad but i found out that the fuel pump is a 2 stage pump, and there is a relay under the glove box. is one of these a more comman problem then the other? thanks for any advice on the problem.

tt54l32v

Established Member
check inertia switch and thats a good place to check for power coming from the relays that you spoke of. and the fuel pump is not two stage, the car has a low speed and a high speed fuel pump relay. thats what that click from the glove box is when you pass 3200 rpm
good luck

SNAKEYE

Established Member
If the relay in/above the glovebox was bad it would not prevent starting the engine as it is used in parallel with a voltage dropping resistor to control high and low fuel pump output as called for by the PCM. At worst the pump would run slow and at reduced pressure, which would not prevent fuel availability at startup.

Have you checked the fuel pump fuse in the engine compartment fuse box?

When you first turn the key to the run position, without going through it to the start position, can you hear the fuel pump run at all? If not the pump or enertia switch are the problem. If you hear it run for a second or two before it stops and still have no fuel at the schrader valve you may need a new fuel filter.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread