No seat-belt in a parking lot = ticket?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
In CA an officer can not give minor violation tickets on private property without the property owners prior concent. That was told to me by more than one officer, on different occations. In High School I was given a ticket in the parking lot for passing on the right to exit the lot. Majority of the cars did not have their signal on, but because there was no designated turn lane, adn I went to the right, I was cited. Years later I asked a family friend (that was an officer) about it, and he said unless the officer was requested to be on the premises by the school, they shouldnt' have given me a ticket. I confirmed that on other occations throughout the years....what struck me as odd, was the school is 'government' property. But they said it still falls under private property.
It was justified because the officer was asked to be on the premises (other issues at the school), but had he not been, then the ticket would have been thrown out.

and +1 on seatbelt at stop light....My guess would be it really comes down to the officers perception of what happened. If he only saw you buckle it, I can see why he would/could site you.

DanTheCobraMan

Established Member
You've mentioned speed limits in residential districts, which are public roads. Obviously not every road, public or private, needs a traffic survey to have a speed limit assigned. And of course you'd hone in on the traffic engineer comment and overlook my real point, which is that speed limits and stop signs on private property are placed there by private parties and not government entities, meaning that they are generally not enforceable by the police.

Just to clarify, so you don't go putting more words in my mouth, I realize that some traffic law violations (such as if a violation lead to an accident or injury) and practically all criminal offenses can be prosecuted even if they occur on private property. But not so for coasting through a private property stop sign or exceeding a mall parking lot speed limit, with the possible exception of if those actions resulted in accident or injury.

Moreover, I've already stated that stop signs where private property intersects public roads are generally considered enforceable, but you must have missed that. How about you keep the condscending attitude in check, buddy?

:pop:

NinoAvila

Who's awesome....YOU ARE!
Established Member
So...again - IN TEXAS in a private lot, can a person be ticketed for no seatbelt?

(Read first post for details)

I still haven't gotten a definitive answer from someone that's an LEO from Texas - Well, sort of, from IceManII.

I don't know where accidents or stop signs came into play, but for such a "tightly moderated" place, this thread sure did get hijacked.

-N

Last edited:

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
So...again - IN TEXAS in a private lot, can a person be ticketed for no seatbelt?

(Read first post for details)

I still haven't gotten a definitive answer from someone that's an LEO from Texas - Well, sort of, from IceManII.

I don't know where accidents or stop signs came into play, but for such a "tightly moderated" place, this thread sure did get hijacked.

-N

Sorry you dont like the moderation!

Your question was answered by Iceman. If that isnt good enough for you, call TEXAS DPS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread