No Low End Torque

vemom93

:shrug: :shrug: :shrug: :shrug: :shrug: :shrug: :shrug: :shrug: :shrug:
I have no idea whats wrong with my car.

Its a 43k mile red cobra. Bought it from a guy in miami. ANYTHING CAN BE WRONG WITH THIS CAR.

It seems to run fine. And i can drive it wherever i want and not really wory about it breaking down. Check engine light blinks on and off. Says i have either reached maximum lean. Or it means that i have a problem with my canister. I dont have it hooked up. I dont know where to hook it up. Ok problem is. In city driving. I get about 9 mpg. High way about 20-23. The car has no torque. Well it feels just like no power at all untill about 3k rpm. And shakes the shifter violently at about 4500. Has cold air intake. and mac longtubes with brand new catted h-pipe. Gears, and a new radiator. As far as i have looked. I dont really know anything about the insides of the motor exept for the heads. When we got it two of the rocker arms were bb chevy sciorpion and not rollers like they were supposed to be. Now it has all brand new ford racing rockers, and brand new pushrods.
To get an idea of power. only mustang i have ever pulled on was a 01 v6. And my brothers 97 cobra KILLS ME. I know its not supposed to be that bad. I have driven lx, and gts. and they will smoke tires easily. This car will not at all. Any ideas?

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
Sounds like a massive vacuum leak to me. The "max lean" means the computer can't lean the a/f out any more. That, or you have an exhaust valve not closing all the way, or bad O2's, the list goes on.

I would suggest taking the car to a competant mechanic, since it sounds like you aren't comfortable working on it yourself...

vemom93

It was bought for 6500 from a guy in miami. I live in austin. I have been working on it for a while now. It spent about 1 1/2 months in a competant mechanic's garage after i couldnt find the answer to this problem. He never fixed this problem. He figures its running right, and he told me to replace the rocker arms, and the valve train so i did. He doesnt know what kinda power its supposed to make. So to him its all the power its supposed to be making.

Last edited by a moderator:

vemom93

I was looking for answers not insults. I know what i am doing here. I just wana know if its a break the motor down kinda problem. Cause if it is i am building a blower motor for this car. If its not i would like to have some suggestions to what might be the problem. Oh and the o2 sensors are brand new.... Bought this thing as a mustang learning car. Money doesnt matter. I wouldnt be on here asking for help if i wanted it to sit in a mechanics garage.

D ABLO

Established Member
it sounds like a few things could be a cat that could be restricted, a vacuum leak or low compression. I think it might be a lean missfire. I would do a compression test see what they read . Should be from 125-155 don't look at how high just the diffrence on the 8. I had a t-bird at the shop a few months ago that had the same problem Had the code bank one and bank 2 lean it turned out to be a egr valve. This thing couldn't chirp tire at all after I was able to lay down a good patch with a little brake. Check it i sounds like a leak, Keep in mind that un metered air could be from other places not just a bad gasket.

vemom93

alright i'll look into intake gaskets. Really quick. If i had a leak in my vacume, Could I still get 20 psi?

Last edited by a moderator:

D ABLO

Established Member
I dont understand? do you mean 20 vacuum? start with the basic engine check compression and go from there check vacumm at idle,fuel pressure, volume, and then the timing and if it advances. Then if you like to check the egr for vacuum, it should have vacumm to it only on off idle under a load. No vacumm on WOT and idle. How does it run at idle?

Users who are viewing this thread