No longer able to keep vehicle in my driveway?

MLS

Established Member
I've had my car in my driveway since October in order to work on it. I received a note from a city official that I would be fined $100 per day for my car sitting in my driveway with expired tags. They have seen in their infinite graciousness to give me until January 10th to move my vehicle. After pleading for an extension on the time to repair the car, they gave me 2 extra days....I would like to fix the car the correct way, unfortunately that is not possible in the time frame I have been given.

Is there anyway to get a real extension on this? The registration is paid, but the car needs a smog certification to get new tags.

The only solution I have come up with is to buy stock parts, fail a smog inspection, and buy a Temporary operating permit. ( Rebuilding an engine to pass smog in a weekend is not possible for me.)

Any insight would be greatly appreciated, thanks for your time LEO's.

GRUSE

Established Member
Not a LEO.Don't know about CA,here if you keep a car cover over it they would leave it alone.It works like a cloaking device,the inspector isn't going to get out of his truck to check if you got a licensed prized Shelby or unregistered POS under the tarp.It's probably to late for you to do that,a self storage unit for a month then bring it home and keep it covered.

cobrakidz

High mileage R
Established Member
I am not a LEO but in the past in this situation I have gone to DMV and gotten a temporary permit (usually 90 days) to place in the window while I am trying to get the car smog ready. This should help your situation.

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
Unfortunately, your situation is not something that an LEO can correct. An inoperable vehicle parked in a driveway would fall under a city/county ordinance violation and is usually enforced as a zoning violation.

As mentioned above, a car cover SHOULD fix the issue, but you will need to check with your city/county to make sure.

Ford1288

Established Member
*** Edited by moderator. Please do NOT advise people to do something ILLEGAL in a forum moderated by an LEO. ***

Last edited by a moderator:

west08

Established Member
Have no experience in this, but have read from others to park the car with the plate not facing the road so expired tags can't be seen when driving by. Unless your state has front and rear plates, which it probably does because California...

MLS

Established Member
We do have front and rear plates here.
I'm in violation of a local ordinance. Parking a non op vehicle in my driveway for 30 days.

I'm going to try and limp her to a smog shop so I can fail and get the temp tags. 30 days is more than enough to get her running again. (4 days is not lol)

Woody6799

Established Member
This just further shows me CA sucks... NJ is not far behind but I am glad to see we are still not the total worst :nonono:

Users who are viewing this thread