No key for the stock wheel locks in my new Cobra.

DeadStang

Established Member
It was a local, one-owner car. Would the dealer have a code for the key on file maybe after 10 years? How do I get these off w/o destroying them? I'd really just like a new key, lol...

weaselp1

Established Member
u can try to pound a socket that barely fits over the locked lug nut and then remove it, but that will damage the lug nut. there is also a special locking lug nut removal kit, but they tend to be a bit pricy. either way you will most likely damage the lug nut. but you will be able to get it off . good luck

03SonicVert

Ford Junkie since 1996
Established Member
If they are factory Ford locks then the dealer should have a master kit. Just take the car to the dealer, they can match up the lug to one of their many keys in their master sets to remove the locks and then just buy a new complete set of locks or replace the locks with standard lug nuts.

SV

big dad

Established Member
If they are factory Ford locks then the dealer should have a master kit. Just take the car to the dealer, they can match up the lug to one of their many keys in their master sets to remove the locks and then just buy a new complete set of locks or replace the locks with standard lug nuts.

SV

Yes the dealer will have a master set. It shouldn't cost anything for them to help you out. Also, look around in the car for the key, sometimes in the trunk well, glovebox, under the seat, you get the idea. When I was a tech people used to drive me nuts with where they would put those things.

JetmechF16

Under Pressure
Established Member
Premium Member
Top Shelf Gentlemen
See if they can give you the identifying serial number of the key that fits your locking lug nut, then you can order a replacement from McGard. I had to do that several years ago.

DeadStang

Established Member
Funny story--NOT. Drove the car to the local Ford dealer today and they figured out which lock I needed (and gave me the number and ordered me one). Driving home, I blew out the left front original/stock 10-year-old tire at 65 mph and shredded it! Had to wait 2.5 hours for a tow home in the 90-degree heat (whine whine!). The wheel doesn't appear to have been damaged and the car wasn't, so it wasn't all bad. But go figure...I haven't had a blow out in 20 years.

Users who are viewing this thread