No Insurance.

svtcobra2k3

Established Member
I got pulled over and didn't have my Insurance was expired so I got a ticket. I was already in the process of renewing my insurance so I was just wondering if I go to court and show that I do have insurance on my car will they waive the penalties?

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
it depends on the judge but probably not since it was expired when you got the ticket. There is a big difference between not having your card which will get dismissed once you show that at the time of the ticket your insurance was active and not having insurance at all.

edited to add: if your state has LONG TERM penalties for not having insurance i.e. 500 dollars a year for driving with no insurance. those MIGHT get dismissed. but the short term ones are not likely to.

Last edited:

ImShakn

Established Member
Different states handle this differently. If you missed your renewal date by a few days, then your insurance agent may be able to give you a letter that states that you were insured on the date of the citation. If you waited until the policy was canceled, then it's doubtful that you can do anything to avoid the penalties.

tama

Mastermind
Established Member
In some cases companies will give you a 14 day grace period before retro cancelling the policy back to the effective cancellation date. If you pay within that time frame you may obtain a letter of experience from your carrier and take it to court as proof of coverage.

Not all companies/carriers will do this.

Good Luck

Users who are viewing this thread