No idea what belt to use.

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
So the belt I have is starting to get cracked and come apart, but I have no idea what replacement to get.

It is a 2002 Mustang GT With Vortech V1. All accesories on the motor.

Previous owner did all the blower install, so i'm a bit clueless, but its a "14lb blower pulley".

What info do I need to figure out which belt I need?

Last edited:

Black*Death

Sleeping
Established Member
Call Vortech...should put you in the ball park size wise...belts are often labeled as well, by size, but your may be worn out and unreadable.

I would imagine the 111" to 114" size but that is using my Procharged 99 Cobra as a measurement. Not sure on a GT??

01yellercobra

Established Member
Take it to the parts store. If they're any good they'll have a tool to measure it.

Misspelling brought to you by tapatalk

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
I looked a vortechs site but I dont know which pulley is for 14lbs...

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Is there a PN on the belt?? If not when you pull the belt off you can measure it and then purchase one.

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
I can probably measure the pulley size to figure out which pulley it is. How are they measured? OD of the outer most lip? Or another way?

I cant see a Part number on the belt, and I hate to take it off and measure in case it has stretched or something.

Stanger00

Established Member
Its probably a 3.1-3.2 pulley if you are seeing 14lbs of boost without a intercooler. Either way. The stock pulley is 3.6" and for a single bolt tensioner the belt length is 108". This is assuming you didnt change the timing cover to a 96-99 Mustang 2 valve cover.

A stock Vortech pulley is 3.6" and uses a 108" belt for 2000+ single bolt tensioner 2 valves. If your pulley is smaller than 3.6" just subtract that number from 108 and you should find the correct belt. I run a 3.1" pulley but use a 107.3 its a little small but the tesnioner is still close to its sweet spot. Its hard finding a 107.5" belt in CA and the only company I know that makes them is Dayco.

Stanger00

Established Member
Glad we could help.

A tip. I use a nylon rope (parachute cord) to go around my tensioner to relieve the tension on the belt on removal and install. Route your belt around all of the pulleys minus the water pump pulley. Once you have the Vortech mounted back to the block pull the tensioner towards you and slip the belt over the water pump pulley. I use the 3/8ths drive ratchet to get leverage with the rope as I pull it towards me. This is the easiest way to do it...You could try the pry bar method but you have to jack the car up and crawl underneathe. The single bolt tensioner sucks ass especially when you have to change belts.

Last edited:

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
Glad we could help.

A tip. I use a nylon rope (parachute cord) to go around my tensioner to relieve the tension on the belt on removal and install. Route your belt around all of the pulleys minus the water pump pulley. Once you have the Vortech mounted back to the block pull the tensioner towards you and slip the belt over the water pump pulley. I use the 3/8ths drive ratchet to get leverage with the rope as I pull it towards me. This is the easiest way to do it...You could try the pry bar method but you have to jack the car up and crawl underneathe. The single bolt tensioner sucks ass especially when you have to change belts.

Thanks for the info! I havent even looked into how to replace the belt yet. :beer:

Stanger00

Established Member
Thanks for the info! I havent even looked into how to replace the belt yet. :beer:

LOL, Good luck. The first time is daunting. Remove the blower and route the new belt and put the blower back on. Vortech has instructions on their website in PDF. That will be a good reference for belt routing.

Jad G

Broke but fast
Established Member
Use a small pipe wrench on the tensioner arm to dig into the soft aluminum and bite in to relieve the tension, that's what I did on my friend's 00 GT with the single-bolt tensioner and it worked like a charm. It was close to a 108" belt as well IIRC, his has the vortech V2-Si trim with a 3.33" belt. We used a green stripe gates hd belt and it seemed to hold boost better, the whole smooth side of the belt is green, just take whatever gates belt number you need (should be something close to a K080108) and add HD to the end, if you're interested, its a much stronger belt, more expensive but worth it

Last edited:

01yellercobra

Established Member
Does the blower bracket block the tensioner? I have a single bolt tensioner. I use a 3ft breaker bar with a 3/8" adapter to move the tensioner. But my blower bracket doesn't block it.

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
Got the belt from Napa. It was 34$

Part number 061073 and its a 107 7/8" OC belt. Which is 107.875" long belt. There is no "HD" version according to napa, and their next shortest is 107.1"

Hopefully it fits!

part number fits this listing. [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Gates-K061073-Multi-V-Groove-Belt/dp/B000C2UJX4"]Amazon.com: Gates K061073 Multi V-Groove Belt: Automotive[/ame]

Last edited:

Stanger00

Established Member
Does the blower bracket block the tensioner? I have a single bolt tensioner. I use a 3ft breaker bar with a 3/8" adapter to move the tensioner. But my blower bracket doesn't block it.

Yeah, its completely blocked. You can move it about an inch or so and shove a 3" extension in and then hook up the breaker bar to relieve the tension.

Yes it does which is why I came up with that idea, it worked well

Yup, I tried using that method but with vice grips :nonono:

Got the belt from Napa. It was 34$

Part number 061073 and its a 107 7/8" OC belt. Which is 107.875" long belt. There is no "HD" version according to napa, and their next shortest is 107.1"

Hopefully it fits!

part number fits this listing. Amazon.com: Gates K061073 Multi V-Groove Belt: Automotive

I used that exact part number on my car with the 3.1" pulley on the blower. You will have to pull the tensioner all the way to its stop block to be able to slip it over the water pump, trust me. This belt fits tight. The stock tensioner will have about a half inch of play, if that. That guy in the first thread is running a Thumper tensioner and those come with different sized pulleys and he didnt say which one his had. That would be why his 107.7" belt didnt fit right. Comes with a 12 month warranty too :rockon:

Last edited:

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
Yeah, its completely blocked. You can move it about an inch or so and shove a 3" extension in and then hook up the breaker bar to relieve the tension.

Yup, I tried using that method but with vice grips :nonono:

I used that exact part number on my car with the 3.1" pulley on the blower. You will have to pull the tensioner all the way to its stop block to be able to slip it over the water pump, trust me. This belt fits tight. The stock tensioner will have about a half inch of play, if that. That guy in the first thread is running a Thumper tensioner and those come with different sized pulleys and he didnt say which one his had. That would be why his 107.7" belt didnt fit right. Comes with a 12 month warranty too :rockon:

Thanks for the input! I figured I'd update this thread so future onlookers can get some help...(if newbs ever learn to search...)

Users who are viewing this thread