No heat issue today...Whew!!!

BenD

Established Member
Ran the USSpeedway Series Event at PPIR in Colo. Spgs., CO today, Aug. 29th. Low and behold it didn't over heat, first time.

Three main things contributed to cooler running. First, and I really think the most important was the A/F Ratio. Being able to monitor the A/F on the Guage and then add or subtract fuel with the Predator is absolutely a great benefit. I purposely set it on the rich side in the 4000 to 7000 range.

Second was the addition of the Vortech After cooler holding a little over a Gal. of fluid.

Third, this time I removed both head lites.

Fourth, the ambient temp. was in the 70's.

Fifth, I ran the HE fans constantly.

Now I have to improve the brakes, definitely wider wheels and Hoosier tires

Unfortunately I was pushing the car beyond its present cornering capacity and spun out. No damage, but it didn't help my alignment. I can definitely compete with the Ferrari's as it stands now. No problem with the Vettes and Vipers, except the highly modified ones. Porsche GT3's are another story. By next year my suspension should match these guys too. K-member, Lighter and wider wheels, and 2 piece, 6 caliper brakes.

Obviously I have to improve my driving skills which is a really big factor in Road racing, probably the biggest single factor as those of you who Road race know.

If anyone is experiencing over heating maybe applying these changes will help. If the ambient was in the 90's today I don't know, maybe these changes still wouldn't be enough. But I did get through the day without losing a drop of coolant.

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
glad you licked your heating woes.

cool. im not the only one who hurt the car on a road course this weekend.

dont go for sticky tires until you've mastered street tires. like the huge amounts of torque these cars have, slicks can mask mistakes.

BenD

Established Member
Mistakes, yes!

Shelbyguy

Good point! One of the great benefits of this particular series( USSpeedway Series) they have several professional drivers that teach. One is a factory Ferrari driver, Roland Linder. Eight laps around the track, with him driving, then me, was more than worth the $175 entry fee.

Brakes, wheels, tires is where the car needs improvement. "Longer, Deeper, Harder" is the pass word!

The biggest factor, hands down, correcting my mistakes "Old Dogs Can Learn New Tricks" In October I think I'll be a little tougher competitor. I'll continue to take lessons. It's when you think you know it all, that's where the trouble starts.

Did you damage your car in your event? I spun out sliding into the grass, no damage, except I'm sure the alignment suffered a little bit. The car spun twice caused by my stupidity more than anything else. I felt like a fool, triggering the yellow flag for everyone else.

Last edited:

Warp03Cobra

Community Racers
Established Member
$$$ for 390HP Mustang
$$$ for 100+ HP Mods
$$$ for suspension mods
$$$ for brake mods

The Porsche 911 Turbo owner that comes up to you after the session and says..."That's not a normal Mustang, I spun out three times trying to catch up to you!"

Priceless

:beer:

Do the suspension mods, you won't be sorry. Also, there is no need to overspend on the brakes IMO. I believe that you can stop just fine with the Cobra R Brembos, as a properly suspended Cobra uses its brakes much more efficiently. Lookup some books by Ross Bentley, They are Speed Secrets 1/Speed Secrets 2/ and Inner SpeedSecrets, they will help you improve as a driver better than most instructors can. An instructor can definately show you the line around a track...but a driving coach (which is what the books serve as) can help you achieve so much more that it will be pleasantly surprising.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread