No Front Plate - Type of Violation?

JWSnake

Established Member
I know this has been asked before, however, I did a search and came up with contrasting results as to what kind of violation it is. My main question here is if it is a moving violation or not, and if it will affect my insurance. I live in Illinois (if that matters), and I got pulled over this morning for it and was looking for a correct answer as to what kind of violation it is classified as.

Thanks.

Last edited:

03cobrarocks

Established Member
I am unsure I have been ticketed for it twice and it did not affect my insurance. It sure sucks but I would rather pay then have a plate on my front bumper! Maybe and LEO or someone will chime in with a better answer.

JWSnake

Established Member
I am unsure I have been ticketed for it twice and it did not affect my insurance. It sure sucks but I would rather pay then have a plate on my front bumper! Maybe and LEO or someone will chime in with a better answer.

Completely agree, I'd much rather pay than have a plate on my front bumper.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
I have never seen a thread here that claimed a front plate ticket was a moving violation, as it isnt. So where was the conflict? Your insurance will differ from others inasmuch as what will cause your rates to rise can be different from what will cause others to rise. Read your policy or call your agent.

Mikeyb619

Cobra Commander
Established Member
I understand the reason to having a front plate, I just hate how mine is smack dab in the middle of my cobra. I've seen a few kits that mount underneath the front bumper and allow you to slide the license plate in and out (very good for car shows and stuff) and was wondering if this was still legal? I know there are ones where u physically move and I think others that can be done with a remote as well.

Would this fly in NJ? or do i have to have my license plate in the OEM manner centered car ruining view.

JWSnake

Established Member
I have never seen a thread here that claimed a front plate ticket was a moving violation, as it isnt. So where was the conflict? Your insurance will differ from others inasmuch as what will cause your rates to rise can be different from what will cause others to rise. Read your policy or call your agent.

Got it. Talked to the agent, thanks.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
I understand the reason to having a front plate, I just hate how mine is smack dab in the middle of my cobra. I've seen a few kits that mount underneath the front bumper and allow you to slide the license plate in and out (very good for car shows and stuff) and was wondering if this was still legal? I know there are ones where u physically move and I think others that can be done with a remote as well.

Would this fly in NJ? or do i have to have my license plate in the OEM manner centered car ruining view.

Your plate needs to be mounted to the front of the vehicle, it is not required to the be in the OEM holder. It can be off center.

greyhd

Established Member
Here in Cali its a Fix it Ticket and the insurance is not affected. You have to go see the highway patrol to get the ticket signed off then go to court to pay it. I got one and it was $10 from LAPD, not sure how much the ticket would be if California Highway Patrol issued it.

00slvrL

RIP 05.18.2013
Established Member
I know its not a moving violation in Texas and cant imagine it being any different anywhere else.
side note I got pulled over about a month ago by Texas state trooper.
Reasons:
Bright headlights(HIDS)
No front Plate/displayed

He asked me about the missing plate and I said "honestly officer my car does not have any holes in the front bumper and i dont feel like adding any at this point."

no answer from him, then he asked about the headlights ...."Are they DOT legal?"
I said yes, he says "can we take a look at them" I pop the hood, we cant find the dot marking on the ballast boxes.
he says go ahead and get back in your car and ill be right back.

He came back with my DL and said have a good day!!

I think he just liked the Cobra!

VenomRogue

Focus > Mustang
Established Member
in Texas, it just has to be "visible from the front" of the vehicle, it does NOT have to be mounted on your front bumper, also it is not a moving violation.

I have had a few friends just ziptie it on, goto the courthouse and get it dismissed, then take it off (one of them took it off right there in the court parking lot, lol)...not saying that is the right thing to do...but....a dismissal fee of 10-15 bucks is alot cheaper than paying the full amount.

Street 95: the trooper must have been in a good mood, because almost every HID kit sold in the aftermarket is "for offroad or show use only". Do you have them in the stock housings? or aftermarket projectors?

eXs Vp

03 dSg CoBrA
Established Member
in Texas, it just has to be "visible from the front" of the vehicle, it does NOT have to be mounted on your front bumper, also it is not a moving violation.

I live in sa..
Thats not correct. I have already gotten pulled over for having it fully visible on my dash and not on my bumper. And he gave me a ticket.

Sonik Blur

]V[EGADET]-[
Established Member

I live in sa..
Thats not correct. I have already gotten pulled over for having it fully visible on my dash and not on my bumper. And he gave me a ticket.

In Illinois it has to affixed to the FRONT of your car. The windshield area is not considered the front of a car. Basically, you have to have it somewhere on the front bumper and not in the window.

-Mike

VenomRogue

Focus > Mustang
Established Member

I live in sa..

yes I am correct.

It has already been argued and won in the State appeals court.

If your plate was fully visible on your dash, then the officer had no right to give you a ticket, you should have fought it.

I will find the case law and quote it exactly when I get off work, but it is State of Texas v Lasoya. The law specfically states "visible from the front" and NOT "front bumper"

Mikeyb619

Cobra Commander
Established Member
yes I am correct.

It has already been argued and won in the State appeals court.

If your plate was fully visible on your dash, then the officer had no right to give you a ticket, you should have fought it.

I will find the case law and quote it exactly when I get off work, but it is State of Texas v Lasoya. The law specfically states "visible from the front" and NOT "front bumper"

Wish that was the case in New Jersey! I'll probably wind up getting one of the license plate holders than can slide in and out. Also wish I could have a little bit of tint in NJ, but i completely understand why that law is in effect for LEO safety.

Fuzzy Logic

ʎʇıןɐǝɹ ɹnoʎ ʇɔǝɾǝɹ ן
Established Member
yeah at least in my part of cali, you just have to have it on the front of the vehicle. some of my friends are suction cupping theirs to the lower inside passenger side of the front windshield, but chp can then cite you for obstruction of view.

basically if they can't get you for one, they get you for another. lol!

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member

I live in sa..

I keep my velcroed to the passengers side visor. when the car is on the road the visor is down and the plate is visible from the front of the vehicle. I have never been stopped with it.

On the other hand just putting your plate on the dash is really kind of a dumb thing to do. if you get in an accident it becomes a flying guillotine. not a healthy thing to be flying around the interior of your car.

03cobrarocks

Established Member
I keep my velcroed to the passengers side visor. when the car is on the road the visor is down and the plate is visible from the front of the vehicle. I have never been stopped with it.

On the other hand just putting your plate on the dash is really kind of a dumb thing to do. if you get in an accident it becomes a flying guillotine. not a healthy thing to be flying around the interior of your car.

flying guillotine haha.. I cant beleive I am going to say this but you make a very good point!

VenomRogue

Focus > Mustang
Established Member

this is very true, especially with passengers (though I have 3 suction cups holding mine on, not just tucked into the dash)....i never said it was smart, i just said it was legal..... lol

that visor thing is a good idea, I need to check to see if my visor will go down far enough to make the plate visible enough.....i think they are smaller than the mustang ones.

Users who are viewing this thread