No front plate ticket

S7OCK_03

WHIPPLED
Established Member
How do I take care of this to get it dismissed? I took pictures before and after. Do I just call the number the cop gave me and ask how to dismiss it or do I have to plea not guilty and appear in court. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

91frppgt

Banned
i got one for the same thing a while back...took a picture of the car with it on, went to court, showed the judge. had to pay a $25 dollar dismissal fee.

S7OCK_03

WHIPPLED
Established Member
so i guess i should just call and ask "what steps i need to take to dismiss this ticket" ? i just want to have all my info before i start this process. i researched the law and it said the administrative fee was "not to exceed 10$"

Thanks

mysticalsnake

Established Member
yeah, just call the number and you'll probably be asked for the ticket number and the secretary or whoever answers the phone can look and see everything right then. and just say "i've fixated a license plate to the front of my vehicle and would just like to see about having it dismissed" and whoever you speak with should be able to tell you exactly what you need to do in order to get it dismissed.

S7OCK_03

WHIPPLED
Established Member
thank you very much, they were closed today and classes start tomorrow so ill have to work that in some time this week. Hopefully tomorrow.

S7OCK_03

WHIPPLED
Established Member
I called the office today and inquired about the ticket i received and how to dismiss it and the secretary told me the ticket wasn't on file. Is it possible that the officer forgot or purposely didn't file the ticket?

I have a plate bracket so i didn't have to drill holes in my bumper and i think someone backed into it and bent it so i took it off and i told that to the cop but he wrote me the ticket anyway.

could he have written the ticket just to scare me into putting it on?

or is the ticket just not on file yet?

Kobra Khan

Krazy SVT Poster!
Established Member
In Mississippi you are only issued one plate per vehicle, and it is to be placed on the back of the vehicle. Putting a front plate on to get it dismissed is just a bandaid, and allows the system to think they are in the right.

I'd be raising hell asking why certain states require it and others don't. If it was so important, all states would have it.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
I called the office today and inquired about the ticket i received and how to dismiss it and the secretary told me the ticket wasn't on file. Is it possible that the officer forgot or purposely didn't file the ticket?

I have a plate bracket so i didn't have to drill holes in my bumper and i think someone backed into it and bent it so i took it off and i told that to the cop but he wrote me the ticket anyway.

could he have written the ticket just to scare me into putting it on?

or is the ticket just not on file yet?

The ticket just isnt on file yet. Tickets are accounted for and he would not have written one simply to scare you.

I'd be raising hell asking why certain states require it and others don't. If it was so important, all states would have it.

The 10th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution allows each state the ability to promulgate their own laws. There is no obligation for one state to coincide with another's laws.

Vinchenzo51

Established Member
now im not encouraging you cheating the system, but a nice roll of doublesided tape goes a long way on court day.

i got one, and i went into court with a picture of my car taken that day with a front plate on (stuck on with tape) and they dismissed the case ($25 fee).

went outside, pulled the plate off, cleaned off the sticky stuff and voila, no holes in my front bumper

(now that i posted this ill probably get pulled over tomorrow for another front plate violation)

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Do a search of this forum. I have made a couple of posts about how to reduce your chance of getting a ticket for no front plate. I haven't had a front plate in over 10 years and have been stopped once. Didn't get a ticket for it either.

ff500

Established Member
In Massachusetts if you've got the old green lettered plates you only need one plate on the rear, if you've got the new red lettered plates you need 2. front and rear.

txyaloo

Established Member
Do a search of this forum. I have made a couple of posts about how to reduce your chance of getting a ticket for no front plate. I haven't had a front plate in over 10 years and have been stopped once. Didn't get a ticket for it either.

+1 - In Texas, RDJ's method works well. The statute says the plate must visible from the front of the car, but doesn't specifically say it must be mounted on the front bumper. I have no problems with mine on the passenger side visor (when I remember to flick it down).

Iceman II

Right Behind You!
Established Member
Not sure I have mentioned this before. I was in Austin this past week doing the in car computer class. Most of the state already has them.
In one of the drop boxes it has "DPS Contact". This means we can look you up for prior DPS traffic stops for up to two or three years. If we see that you have been issued numerous warning violations for whatever, then this "MAY" change to a ticket.
There is no lying or getting around with this tool. Folks don't get caught lying.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Not sure I have mentioned this before. I was in Austin this past week doing the in car computer class. Most of the state already has them.
In one of the drop boxes it has "DPS Contact". This means we can look you up for prior DPS traffic stops for up to two or three years. If we see that you have been issued numerous warning violations for whatever, then this "MAY" change to a ticket.
There is no lying or getting around with this tool. Folks don't get caught lying.

lying to the cops about anything is a bad idea. you just never know how/when info that you lied about is going to come back to bite you in the ass.

I have heard from more than one person in and around austin that if anyone is going to stop you for no front plate it is DPS as opposed to APD, RRDP, or the county guys. I have no idea if that is true or not however LOL! a fair number of the local LEOs that I have talked to about the no front plate issue have told me that even they don't run front plates on their personal cars.

Iceman II

Right Behind You!
Established Member
I agree, if you are going to get stopped for the LP it is probably going to be us. Yeah, I know about Leo's and it puts the officer in a bad situation.
I would try to be as polite as I can be. Tell the Leo to get it on and that's what I do to begin with, with anyone. Luckily, this hasn't happened to me. If they still don't want to comply then it is taken to the next level.
To me, that Leo is telling the troop, "screw you." And that isn't going to cut it!

Last edited:

txyaloo

Established Member

Are these the new systems with thermal printers in the car? I was stopped a few months back for both of my plate lights being out. The trooper gave me a printed warning. This was the first time I saw DPS using those.

ported 04

Its never enough.
Established Member
+1 - In Texas, RDJ's method works well. The statute says the plate must visible from the front of the car, but doesn't specifically say it must be mounted on the front bumper. I have no problems with mine on the passenger side visor (when I remember to flick it down).

When i got pulled over for having no front plate i asked him if i could put the plate in the inside of the car and he said "No, it cannot be behind anything reflective."

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
When i got pulled over for having no front plate i asked him if i could put the plate in the inside of the car and he said "No, it cannot be behind anything reflective."

As I recall there is no such requirement in the statute. I could be wrong however. All I know is that other than the one incident I have not had an issue for 10 years. Luck? maybe.

RedfireSVT

Established Member
i got my first speeding ticket in years the other night and i wasn't even driving my cobra. it was a dps officer and i noticed he was checking everything about my vehicle, tags, insurance, asking me about addresses and he even made a point to walk to the front to check that i had a plate. i was as polite and cooperative as possible, engine off, interior lights on hands on the steering wheel. he even asked me if i had been drinking, maybe because i was overly friendly. prior to this the last time i got pulled over was by a city cop. i was driving my cobra, my tags were expired and i didn't have a front plate, thankfully he didn't even look at that stuff or if he did he didn't mention them, he just wrote me a ticket and sent me on my way. i haven't had many traffic stops but it's been my experience that dps officers are a little more "by the book".

Users who are viewing this thread