No Front Plate in CA

Hotrod Tommy

SVT Poster
Established Member
Hey,

So my front plate got mangled in a fender bender. Luckily it was the only casualty (not even my fault!). The truck that hit me took off the plate and crushed the mounting bracket. I haven't gotten around to going to the DMV yet. Anyway, I got a ticket while my car was parked (outside my house at 3:42AM), for having no front plate. I have to get it signed off then send in the payment within 21 days. But I don't have a front plate yet, and I can't get to the DMV until next Friday, and who knows how long it will be before I get the new plate. I do however have a new bracket for it.

My question is, can I get an extension for this? I know I probably should have taken care of it right away but sheesh! Didn't expect to get caught so fast!

Thanks. -Tommy

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
I would bet if the accident was reported and generated a police report, you could make a case for the court.

SLPRCTM

Established Member
Just call the courts and explain the situation. They will most likely give you an extension for a week or two. Tomorrow or ASAP, go to the DMV and get the paper work done. Don't order your plates online because it takes forever. If you just have regular plates (not personalized) you can surrender your existing plate and they will give you a new set with new stickers on the spot. Then you can drive to the CHP or a police station and get it signed off. One word of advise, if you go to the CHP station, make sure you have all your stuff together and correct. I know of many people that went to have stuff signed off and came back with fix-it tickets for other things.

Users who are viewing this thread