no coolant flow in radiator reservior tank

ericmuscle

Established Member
i could have swore on my other cars i could see coolant circulate in the radiator overflow reservoir when the engine is warm and thermostat open. car runs with no problems and doesnt run hot, but with the car running and fans on i dont see any coolant flowing through radiator reservior? is this normal

car is in sig

beastmar

Established Member
With the stock intercooler pump, it's very minimal movement. But none the less the coolant should show some signs of moving. I would jump the pump to see if it is working or not.

keith89

Established Member
With the stock intercooler pump, it's very minimal movement. But none the less the coolant should show some signs of moving. I would jump the pump to see if it is working or not.

I think you guys are talking about two different things.

OP said radiator coolant tank(driver's side), not the intercooler tank. On the mustang, the radiator coolant tank is just an expansion tank and does not have coolant running through it. This is a poor design and does not self bleed like many other cars do.

OP, if you are referring to the tank on the passenger side, then that is the intercooler fluid tank. With the stock pump, you should still see the coolant circulationg. If it is not, check your fuses/relay and knock on your pump with the car on to see if it starts up again. When i had the stock pump, I would takei it out and clean the internals every year to make sure the dust from the motor brushes did not build up. This is a very common issue as these cars get older.

ericmuscle

Established Member
I think you guys are talking about two different things.

OP said radiator coolant tank(driver's side), not the intercooler tank. On the mustang, the radiator coolant tank is just an expansion tank and does not have coolant running through it. This is a poor design and does not self bleed like many other cars do.

OP, if you are referring to the tank on the passenger side, then that is the intercooler fluid tank. With the stock pump, you should still see the coolant circulationg. If it is not, check your fuses/relay and knock on your pump with the car on to see if it starts up again. When i had the stock pump, I would takei it out and clean the internals every year to make sure the dust from the motor brushes did not build up. This is a very common issue as these cars get older.

thankyou

Users who are viewing this thread