No chase laws?

fly4navy117

Established Member
Do they really exist? I heard that in some states, police are not allowed to chase if someone runs and they were getting pulled for something small(speeding, rolling through a stop sign, ect.)? You would think that its to cut back on accidents caused by fleeing drivers, but wouldn't that just embolden people to try their luck? I would never try and run personally but I was just curious and figured this was the best place to ask about it.

COBRA90GT

The Joe is rockin'
Established Member
Yes, certain departments out there do have "no chase" policies (or more accurately known as "limited" chase policies). This varies by each agency, of course - every department has its own unique set of department guidelines that they follow.

You may have "Department A," which allows their officers to chase anything under the sun for any legitimate reason (traffic related, criminal related, etc) they see fit. Then on the other hand, you may have "Department B," which only allows their officers to chase for serious felonies only when the identity of the driver is known.

Department chase policy is heavily guided by case law - some supervisors will allow a chase to go on for some time while other supervisors will order to terminate a chase after two blocks.

There is no perfect solution to the question of whether "should we chase or not?" It is a very complex legal question. Chases are full of risks and consequences for everyone involved - the officer(s), the offender(s), and the public at large.

JohninMD

Established Member
I was speaking to LEO a few years ago and he said his dept had just instituted a new chase policy. They were only allowed to chase long enough to get the plate info and then they had to back off. I was like "really?". He then explained he hadn't been able to get close enough to see the plates of one since!!! (his way of saying they still chase, they just have to cover their butts)

jshen

Established Member
Big difference between NO CHASE law and NO CHASE policy. I am aware of no state that has such a law- it is counter to public policy/safety.

Each dept has exceptions for such a policy..and they're spelled out in their SOP for accreditation purposes.

Nino S

Established Member
I know around northern virginia most LEO's do not pursure after the chase hits past 100 mph just because I live in such a congested area. But I think that the officer really makes the decision all based on the enviroment.
If they got a guy on a bike doing 120+ and there are cars on the road that they will most likely not even try. But if the same guy blows by them at 120+ mph at 2 am with no traffic, he better know how to ride because they will top those crowny vics out to 140+ trying to get you......

ZeroFear

Banned
I know around northern virginia most LEO's do not pursure after the chase hits past 100 mph just because I live in such a congested area. But I think that the officer really makes the decision all based on the enviroment.
If they got a guy on a bike doing 120+ and there are cars on the road that they will most likely not even try. But if the same guy blows by them at 120+ mph at 2 am with no traffic, he better know how to ride because they will top those crowny vics out to 140+ trying to get you......

+1

I have a feeling the only time police officers wouldn't chase is if your on a bike and there is heavy traffic. Due to the bikes ability to drive between cars etc. Most of the time they will call someone up the road to get you.

FNsweetS3

Crazy Gun Bunny!!!
Established Member
I was speaking to LEO a few years ago and he said his dept had just instituted a new chase policy. They were only allowed to chase long enough to get the plate info and then they had to back off. I was like "really?". He then explained he hadn't been able to get close enough to see the plates of one since!!! (his way of saying they still chase, they just have to cover their butts)

I actually had someone do a smash and grab at the A/V Solutions next to Chili's in Laurel - I was in the parking lot of the Silver Diner when the call went out... I was there in seconds... just in time to block the turn in to the shopping center.... they almost ran me over. Text book chase.... time was around 10:30 , traffic was light, K9 was the second car and he was calling out the streets while I was the primary pursuit vehicle..... then my SGT from the STATION called the chase off we were not even allowed to follow at a distance. :fm::fm::fm:

Because it was a property crime and not a violent crime.

F1reStart3r

Flubolaids
Established Member
I actually had someone do a smash and grab at the A/V Solutions next to Chili's in Laurel - I was in the parking lot of the Silver Diner when the call went out... I was there in seconds... just in time to block the turn in to the shopping center.... they almost ran me over. Text book chase.... time was around 10:30 , traffic was light, K9 was the second car and he was calling out the streets while I was the primary pursuit vehicle..... then my SGT from the STATION called the chase off we were not even allowed to follow at a distance. :fm::fm::fm:

Because it was a property crime and not a violent crime.

that's what i have heard about MD, situations such as yours being called off. or some high speeds being called off for liability to bi standards etc.
i actually blocked a runner in my cobra on 66E unknowingly. he was coming up hard and i just thought he was being wreckless so i switch lanes and paced the car right beside me. a few seconds later i saw blue lights behind him. i just busted out laughing at the sweet sweet justice.

uofipilot

Established Member
they will top those crowny vics out to 140+ trying to get you......

Crown Vics can go 140+? Surprising. I also find it humorous that our local PD switched to V6 Chargers. I guess I'm not exactly in an area thats prone for high speed chases, but it's funny that a good portion of the cars on the road are faster than the cops. :burnout:

FNsweetS3

Crazy Gun Bunny!!!
Established Member
Yes.... but most times... especially in a more urban area.... your fast car is not faster than the speed of sound to the next city or county and a set of spike strips

S8ER01Z

Established Member
Crown Vics can go 140+? Surprising. I also find it humorous that our local PD switched to V6 Chargers. I guess I'm not exactly in an area thats prone for high speed chases, but it's funny that a good portion of the cars on the road are faster than the cops. :burnout:

Must be unmarked 'no light bar up top' or modded....Michigan Police tests had them topping shy of 130 or in the low 130s last time I looked...

Around here they pretty much chase until the supervisor says 'its too dangerous'...

Most recently a 56 stole a truck from in front of a local bar and then drove north into the next county for a booze cruise. He was spotted 1 county up purchasing beer and their local county officers started the chase... several departments,counties were notified including a city in Iowa (bridge access).. the Iowa City PD came across the bridge and setup stop strips... when the first county hit their county line they ended pursuit and handed over to the next county.. then when it hit the next city, the 2nd county units handed off that city unit and stayed close behind... perp hit the strips setup by the Iowa PD (which terminated and headed back to their own city) and continued driving back into county jurisdiction again. County decided to let the current lead continue (which was the city unit) and they followed the guy into our city (this was ~20 miles of chase at 80~90mph speeds)... The track had taken some damage since the strips (made it 7 miles on shredded tire) and finally tried to ditch the truck. We got toned out at that point due to an officer injury and a disabled vehicle on the highway. Needless to say it was a crazy night but everyone around here has different SOPs covering chases..though they can all cross state/county lines except one department.

First County had a limitation of only their county and no further, next county had a policy of only leading within thier county boundry but they could follow until it ended, iowa city pd could cross into illinois to assist but couldn't take lead unless it went into their city and the il city pd had a policy of 'kill kill kill' (kidding..they could chase as long as it didn't endager the public and was the supervisors call but had no other limitations)...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread