No cats and exhaust fumes

Sick_Mustang

Established Member
Recently put on my lethal off road x pipe and kooks axle backs. Car currently has a Bama tune.

I am getting a strong smell of exhaust fumes, enough to make my clothes smell bad with the windows down. I can smell it while at a stoplight or standing outside the car with it running. Is this the nature of the beast with no cats? Any way besides adding cats to help with this?

I have checked for exhaust leaks and did not find any, however that was the first day. I plan on checking once more though.

I also data logged the car an afr was fine, actually 14%lean according to Shaun @AED.

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
No cats here and the most of the time i don't smell anything and when I do its not that bad at all!

alex12gt

Established Member
If you actually smell it badly there's is an issue a. Being a leak 2. Your tune running way to rich

ashleyroachclip

Established Member
Some people's nose is more easily offended.
I have had performance tuned cars with cats and without.
I personally keep them, a hi flow cat will not hamper performance.

11Sec_Lx

Established Member
I don't get much smell from mine either, and I am pretty picky. I woudn't risk clogging a cat on a forced induction car. Not worh the risk, imo.

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
I can only smell mine when I'm standing behind the car, or if the windows are down and the wind is blowing from behind the car.

grnenvy

Established Member
The guys that tell u there cars don't smell after removing the cats need to get there sniffers checked. My car smells and they all smell bad once removed. I put high flow cats on mine it fixed the smell but blew them out due to pwr level.

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
The guys that tell u there cars don't smell after removing the cats need to get there sniffers checked. My car smells and they all smell bad once removed. I put high flow cats on mine it fixed the smell but blew them out due to pwr level.
A lot of people don't have issues with the smell. You sure you don't have exhaust leaks?

Even with the car sitting in my garage and the door open, it takes a bit for me to start smelling a strong gas smell.

StangMan04

Established Member
I enjoy the smell. Not enough to sit behind the car and take deep breathes or anything. But, it doesn't bother me at all when I do smell it.

nonliberal

Established Member
I have a really sensitive nose and noticed the smell right away. The best cure for it was when I switched to E85, it's not as offensive and doesn't stick to your cloths and hair.

jasonc32amg

Established Member
I rarely notice it and when I do I like it. Plus, we need to do our part to melt the arctic ice so that global warming freaks don't get stuck.

scott_0

Established Member
it's simply the nature of the beast so to speak, I was fine with the catless stench back when I was in my 20's, I ain't cool with smelling like exhaust fumes all the time now that I'm in my 40's, nothing worse than a brand new $40k car sitting at a red light smelling like an old Ford 150

thegraystang

Established Member
Oh my ghost cam I smell it. Otherwise it's just fine. The smell I cannot stand at all is the smell of a car with cats. I almost gag.

Posted via Topify on Android

01GTB

Established Member
Had and offroad pipe on my 87 5.0 and it never seemed that bad. Put one on my 01 Bullitt and it really smelled bad. There was 10 year gap between driving the 87 like that and then the 01. I think it's age. I think your tolerance of exhaust smell goes down as you get older. However, I will say my friends 01 Bullitt does not smell nearly as bad to me. I also operate gasoline powered equipment that does not bother me either.

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
5.0ooooooh snap! :-D
Haha

Seriously. I smell it when I first installed my cat deletes and had an exhaust leak on the driver side cat, but it eventually went away.

Or I got used to it....maybe that's why my memory is shot all of a sudden. :lol1:

97tc

Ford Man
Established Member
I must be older than a lot of you guys. You haven't smelt anything like an old 60's motor with a Holley and a solid lifter cam. The hydrocarbons and CO would literally bring tears to your eyes!!

Users who are viewing this thread