No brakes, no power steering, and overheating

lodhammerdin

WHPLD03
Established Member
So, I was driving to work this morning and everything was going fine. I make a left hand turn and I start to hear what sounds like a crunching noise and smell something burning. So I pulled over and listen. I still hear what I can describe as a crunching sounds and some metal on metal noises. I look under the car and don't see anything. I pop the hood and see nothing still. So I get back in and start to slowly pull away and I have no power steering. I get back out and look under the hood and the belt is still on and spinning. So I decided to go back he, like 3 miles away. Well, I'm coming up my street and go to hit the brakes and they are stiff as a board. I let the car so as to a stop, reverse back to my house and make it in the garage. As I go to shut the car off, the water temp is all the way to the hot side, no check engine light, has Normal oil pressure, and is idling fine. So my wife takes me to work, and calls me when she gets home saying that my car looks like it shit the coolant everywhere. I won't be home from a few day, heading to the field but would like some thoughts as to what may be happening here. Any thoughts, opinions, advise, or help at all will be and is greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

po-po 5.0

Established Member
Brakes and power steering are both run off the power steering pump powered by a belt.

Water pump is also run off a belt

conclusion: you tossed the belt.

hotcobra03

Established Member
I would look at pulleys...those inners have a tendency to break free from bearing and rub against timing cover..or bridge...

lodhammerdin

WHPLD03
Established Member
Ok, so I got back from the field today and got a chance to look at the car and as you guys suspected, it is the inner belt. So my next question is this, is there a write up somewhere on how to get this done? And what should I do about the idelers? stock ones or aftermaket?

hotcobra03

Established Member
Its a pita to do inner belt...inner pulleys can all be done with out removing belt...

lower caged pulley has to come off to do belt...

ive posted many links as others on auxiliary pulley removal...

on pulleys..bearings can be replaced..

Users who are viewing this thread