No BAP or Injectors

SVT12GT500

Hey guys,
I have been putting a kit together with: 2.8LC KB, JLT CAI, probably a 75 MM TB and O/R x-pipe. I was wondering if I could use this set up with a custom tune and then later add a BAP and/or injectors or would it be too much of a risk with the fuel?

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Hey, welcome to the forums. In all honesty yes, its too much of a risk. You MIGHT be able to squeak by with factory injectors, but i would run a KB BAP. The stock fuel system will limely lean out at the upper end of your power band and thats when you MUST have the fuel to support it.

At best youll be down on a ton of power. at worst ( and very likely) youll burn the motor up.

Get the BAP!

MastaAce03

Established Member
What Lexus tech said. Bite the bullet and pony up for the fuel mods. That's the last thing you want to save money on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sweetlou1182

Established Member
If I slapped a KB on I wouldn't drive it 100 feet without at least throwing some 13-14 injectors on it.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Hey guys,
I have been putting a kit together with: 2.8LC KB, JLT CAI, probably a 75 MM TB and O/R x-pipe. I was wondering if I could use this set up with a custom tune and then later add a BAP and/or injectors or would it be too much of a risk with the fuel?

Shelby has built many, many 725 and 750 horsepower Super Snakes since 2007, unless requested (and additional $$$ paid), the oem injectors were left in place. During testing Shelby felt that the oem 2007-2012 injectors were fine for the 2.8 KB install with the correct KB tune for that 2.8, however, ALL 2007-2012 2.8 KB equipped Super Snakes both LC and non-LC did get a KB BAP installed in the trunk next to the roadside air compressor.

My 725 works great with its oem 2008 injectors and the Shelby installed KB BAP, that being said, I have picked up a new set of 2013/14 injectors for future install when I change to prettier fuel rails.

I would go for a BAP before worrying about injectors.

R

HandBanana

Established Member
Shelby has built many, many 725 and 750 horsepower Super Snakes since 2007, unless requested (and additional $$$ paid), the oem injectors were left in place. During testing Shelby felt that the oem 2007-2012 injectors were fine for the 2.8 KB install with the correct KB tune for that 2.8, however, ALL 2007-2012 2.8 KB equipped Super Snakes both LC and non-LC did get a KB BAP installed in the trunk next to the roadside air compressor.

My 725 works great with its oem 2008 injectors and the Shelby installed KB BAP, that being said, I have picked up a new set of 2013/14 injectors for future install when I change to prettier fuel rails.

I would go for a BAP before worrying about injectors.

R

SMH, so because Shelby American cut corners and did it cheap, we should do the same? Factory built cars, small or large volume, have SHIT fuel systems. They need upgraded to produce the kind of power that blower is capable of.

OP, get some ID1050s or some ID1300s and a BAP. I made over 800 on the 2.4 pulley on my TVS with that setup.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
SMH, so because Shelby American cut corners and did it cheap, we should do the same? Factory built cars, small or large volume, have SHIT fuel systems. They need upgraded to produce the kind of power that blower is capable of.

OP, get some ID1050s or some ID1300s and a BAP. I made over 800 on the 2.4 pulley on my TVS with that setup.

I would guess that if there was an issue, it would have come to light long ago since 10 years have past since the first 725's were built. I have followed the Team Shelby Super Snake forum since mid-2008, NO actual owner of a 725 or 750 KB equipped Super Snake has ever brought an issue up about engine failure, leaness and other performance issues with the oem injectored 2007-2012. I would think (and this is only a guess), that if the oem injectors were too small to support the KB 2.8 725/750 level with the correct tune, that it would have come to light, especially when the owners were attempting high speed top end pulls? Again, never have I read anything about this issue on those 2.8 KB equipped cars.

I would be very interested in KB 2.8 fuel failures that you have come across related to stock 2007-2012 oem injectors being used, please add the link(s) to your reply.

I am not saying that the factory fuel system could not use some upgrades at certain levels, but after 10 years I would think that someone/somewhere with a 725 or 750 Super Snake would be crying about Shelby going cheap with injectors on their 2007-2012 upgrade...........I have seen "zero".

We are not talking about TVS's, we are not talking about Whipples, we are talking about an owner asking specifically about a 2.8 LC Kenne Bell install on his car.

R

Last edited:

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
His tuner and his data logs will ultimately determine if he needs a BAP or injectors. But a BAP is just good insurance. Especially if a fuel pump drops voltage during a hit

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
His tuner and his data logs will ultimately determine if he needs a BAP or injectors. But a BAP is just good insurance. Especially if a fuel pump drops voltage during a hit

^^^^This is true also.

The Super Snake build is 50 state emissions legal, no mods ahead of the catback, which means no tube headers etc. so things can change once other items are changed.

I know Ford felt, through their testing that the 5.8 662hp level needed a bump in injector size from the factory and those injectors stay in place all the way through the 800 and 850hp KB 3.6LC Super Snake installs. I have not read any issues with those cars either, and believe me, if there were issues with any of these cars and "shortcuts", the owners would be screaming loudly on Team Shelby.

If a person is paying originally $31,995 for a 725 all the way up to now well into the $40K's for a 850, what is another few hundred $$$ for injectors "if" they are/were needed? It is KB that specs what is needed for their S/C installs (like the spark plugs), not Shelby, and KB did not feel that injectors were needed after they had done their tests. If there were injectors required, they (KB) would have spec'ed the install that way, and the cost would have been pasted along as part of the Shelby install.

R

Users who are viewing this thread