No ADM

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
i saw one advertised below msrp on autotrader. went to the dealer website and they had it at the same price so i called and spoke with a salesman. i asked if the price was accurate and he said yes provided i put 20% down. i said no problem here is my credit card for a deposit to hold the car. that i was 1500 miles away and would fly in the following week to pick it up. he said good deal. in disbelief i asked him twice if the car was mine and they wouldnt sell it to anyone else, he said it was mine both times. recieved a call from the gm the next day that i couldnt have the car, that it was sold but i could buy the other one they had for 10k over. politely told him no thanks. then got a call from the dealer the following week asking why i hadnt come picked the car up.

How far below MSRP and who was the dealer

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
You're a level headed man and I absolutely respect that.

I studied a Ford franchise agreement recently and was surprised at the amount of ambiguity and interpretation left open. If there's a legal challenge regarding some of it both sides would probably bet heavily that they were right.

Let's be clear about this - Ford choosing to not do anything is not the same as saying they can't. "Can't" would be by choice and not by legal mandate. Everyone knows this yet some choose to disregard it when formulating some fairly grandiose assumptions.

I agree, there should be something put in place. However, Not only do you have the dealer agreement to abide by, you also have local and state franchise laws that prohibit some of the meddling in dealers business.

It's really insane, but in all actuality, let all the idiots go out and pay over sticker. Wait, and pick one up at or below sticker. It happens with every Shelby, every time.

Some people have more dollars than cents. I mean sense :)

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
I'm with you Chris.

In the end, Ford created the issue. They knew exactly what would happen but decided to move forward without batting an eye. Nobody can change that but Ford.

mike.s

Established Member
i didnt think much of it cause i knew it was gonna happen but was still frustrating. exact same thing happened to me with an 09 gt500

Last edited:

gravedgr

Established Member
Secondly, Autotrader and Cars.com are notorious for having EVERY VEHICLE marked at MSRP. A lot of dealers don't take the time to manually update the prices, they allow the computer to pull the MSRP and price it at that. There is a disclaimer on the site that explains this.

I don't want to get in the middle of the argument, but want to specifically address this point.

The problem is that they do not list all cars at MSRP. Some are clearly marked up on both sites. That then creates a perception problem where the (un)informed buyer believes that since some cars are clearly intended to be sold above MSRP, some are clearly to be sold at MSRP.

Whether the fault lies with the dealers for not updating their inventory, or the sites for not making it clear that not all dealers update their inventory, could be argued either way. I know I didn't bother to call the clearly marked up cars, and was a bit frustrated to call the MSRP cars only to find a) ADM, b) sold, or c) just plain wrong.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I don't want to get in the middle of the argument, but want to specifically address this point.

The problem is that they do not list all cars at MSRP. Some are clearly marked up on both sites. That then creates a perception problem where the (un)informed buyer believes that since some cars are clearly intended to be sold above MSRP, some are clearly to be sold at MSRP.

Whether the fault lies with the dealers for not updating their inventory, or the sites for not making it clear that not all dealers update their inventory, could be argued either way. I know I didn't bother to call the clearly marked up cars, and was a bit frustrated to call the MSRP cars only to find a) ADM, b) sold, or c) just plain wrong.
I agree. Some dealers adjust their prices, some don't. Leads to consumers believing all the prices are the actual prices.

BlownAway03

Established Member
I agree. Some dealers adjust their prices, some don't. Leads to consumers believing all the prices are the actual prices.

Question for you. Does Ford tell dealers their allocation for the year? Meaning, should all the dealers receiving GT350's know how many allocations they have by now? I'm asking because when I was calling around there seemed to be a whole lot of confusion on the dealer's end about details of ordering this car. This late in the game that seems odd to me.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Question for you. Does Ford tell dealers their allocation for the year? Meaning, should all the dealers receiving GT350's know how many allocations they have by now? I'm asking because when I was calling around there seemed to be a whole lot of confusion on the dealer's end about details of ordering this car. This late in the game that seems odd to me.

Great question.

So here's how this program works. All dealers were allowed to sign up for the GT350 Enrollment program if they chose to do so. If you signed up, you were guaranteed 1 car in 2016. In order to sign up you must pay $2000 ($1000 in 2015 and $1000 in 2016). Additional allocations will be handed out by more of a lottery system.

Dealers won't know how many 16 GT350's they'll end up with until the 2016's are balanced out and the MY17 order banks open.

I was a little different than most. I signed up, paid my money and got in on the program. I don't sell enough Mustangs in order to get multiple allocations. During the sign up process I had a stand in Ford rep...green pea...that emailed everyone in our region the day before sign up closed and told everyone this was the last call. Fortunately for me, he included a list of dealers that had not signed up yet. So I spent the next 3 hours calling every single one of them on the list, offering to pay their enrollment fee if I got their cars. I ended up buying in for 4 other dealers, giving me a guaranteed 5 allocations for 2016. I imagine I will get 3ish in 2017. I figure that because I received 5, retailed 3 and wholesaled 2. Obviously the wholesale units wont count in my sales numbers.

If I could come up with a fix for this system, I would find out a way where Ford would be more transparent with the dealers, allowing us to be more transparent with the customers. Because in all actuality, I am guaranteed 5 this year, but with my 3 retail units sold, I may be eligible for more units. I'd love to take more orders and sell them, but Ford can't guarantee me additional units, and I refuse to take deposits unless I know I can produce a car.

Hope that clears it up.

krt22

Established Member
OK that makes sense, I was wondering how you had so many allocations yet no R. I bet those other dealers are kicking themselves in the ass right now!

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
OK that makes sense, I was wondering how you had so many allocations yet no R. I bet those other dealers are kicking themselves in the ass right now!
Yep. Selfishly, I would've traded all 5 to get an R to keep LOL
chris and 13cobra I looked through my old emails and it was midwest city ford in oklahoma
I've heard stuff like that about them before. Sorry you dealt with that.

mike.s

Established Member
thanks but its not a big deal. had a really good experience with a salesman from a store in texas. he didnt sell me a car but took time to ask exactly what i wanted and told me all the dealerships that had that car in their inventory and then gave me their phone number. knowing i was not gonna buy from him, he still took time to help me out. was pretty cool. like other have stated, there are scumbags but there are some cool salesman that are car guys like us and want to help

BlownAway03

Established Member
Great question.

So here's how this program works. All dealers were allowed to sign up for the GT350 Enrollment program if they chose to do so. If you signed up, you were guaranteed 1 car in 2016. In order to sign up you must pay $2000 ($1000 in 2015 and $1000 in 2016). Additional allocations will be handed out by more of a lottery system.

Dealers won't know how many 16 GT350's they'll end up with until the 2016's are balanced out and the MY17 order banks open.

I was a little different than most. I signed up, paid my money and got in on the program. I don't sell enough Mustangs in order to get multiple allocations. During the sign up process I had a stand in Ford rep...green pea...that emailed everyone in our region the day before sign up closed and told everyone this was the last call. Fortunately for me, he included a list of dealers that had not signed up yet. So I spent the next 3 hours calling every single one of them on the list, offering to pay their enrollment fee if I got their cars. I ended up buying in for 4 other dealers, giving me a guaranteed 5 allocations for 2016. I imagine I will get 3ish in 2017. I figure that because I received 5, retailed 3 and wholesaled 2. Obviously the wholesale units wont count in my sales numbers.

If I could come up with a fix for this system, I would find out a way where Ford would be more transparent with the dealers, allowing us to be more transparent with the customers. Because in all actuality, I am guaranteed 5 this year, but with my 3 retail units sold, I may be eligible for more units. I'd love to take more orders and sell them, but Ford can't guarantee me additional units, and I refuse to take deposits unless I know I can produce a car.

Hope that clears it up.

Got it. Thanks for the clarification. I see why securing one at msrp is next to impossible now. I'm also surprised those dealers whose cars you received didn't have the foresight to see the cash cow this car would be. I mean, this isn't the 1st time we've seen this with Shelby's.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Got it. Thanks for the clarification. I see why securing one at msrp is next to impossible now. I'm also surprised those dealers whose cars you received didn't have the foresight to see the cash cow this car would be. I mean, this isn't the 1st time we've seen this with Shelby's.
The dealers that sold to me were very tiny dealerships. Any where from 5 to 13 employees. They wouldn't want to pay floorplan on one.

Users who are viewing this thread