No 2nd gear?

XDkyleXD

Established Member
On my way home from work tonight I got on the truck a bit when leaving.. and when it shifted to 2nd it jerked reallly hard.. And now I have no 2nd gear.. When I put it in 2nd it seems like its just in neutral..
What happened?
Did I make my clutches explode?
Should I rebuild or replace??
What other trucks had 4r100's in them that I could replace mine with?

Dusten

Established Member
I cant remember what year your truck is(i have sigs turned off) but if its an 01, i'd be curious to see if its a J-code. If so, i wouldnt be surprised if took out the 2nd gear sprag. If its not an 01, perhaps paul will jump in with a better answer.
As far as what options you have, that depends on cash. A built unit from a reputable builder will run you 2500-4500. My local yard had a 4r100 from an 04 lightning with 5200 miles for 1300. The only rig that had a 4r100 besides the L that has the same bellhousing is(i think) the navigator, but its not as strong.

XDkyleXD

Established Member
Alright scratch everything I said I took it for a drive this morning when I was fully awake and it just doesnt go into 2nd gear at all..
When I go to kick it down to 2nd it acts like its in neutral but when I manually do it it just doesnt go into 2nd it stays in first...
My local trans shop thinks it may be the sprag.. But I have no idea..

Dusten

Established Member
J-code trannys were put in the trucks in 2001 and had an issue with a mechanical diode that caused them to destroy second gear... ask me how i know.
But, my truck does/did the same thing yours does, and yes its likely a sprag. If you plan to make big power i recommend you get a built tranny from someone reputable. If you plan to stay mostly stock you can get a stock rebuild or buy a used tranny from a wrecking yard.

XDkyleXD

Established Member

4rd Toys

Polishing my SVTs....
Established Member
I had a similar problem late last summer... but the overdrive button also didn't function... wouldn't shift down from overdrive....
Felt like I was starting in 3rd gear from a dead stop. So I parked it for a week w/ battery disconnected...
When I reconnected the battery, then it mysteriously went away...
Guess I better look for the tranny tag & code...

Dusten

Established Member
the
J-code is only on early 01's. As for rebuilding the 4R100 yourself i'd pm some of the tranny guys like paul, or Alan with Dirty Dog and pick their ear. the 4r100 can be a complicated pig. Really, the stock trans with a valve body will live with 400hp all day long. I'd find a low mile stocker, get a valve body and converter while the trans is out and just go that route.

jbvaldez

Established Member
I am a new Lightning owner and had issues this last week with my trans also. Mine had trouble shifting out of 1st and I noticed the overdrive button keeps turning off and on in about one second intervals. It's a 2001 (I now know I gotta crawl underneath tomorrow to see if I have the infamous "J" tag). I also saw the rebuild kit posted but I am kinda worried it might me a project to advanced for me. Anyone know a reputable Trans shop in central Texas?

chrisheltra

Established Member
I am a new Lightning owner and had issues this last week with my trans also. Mine had trouble shifting out of 1st and I noticed the overdrive button keeps turning off and on in about one second intervals. It's a 2001 (I now know I gotta crawl underneath tomorrow to see if I have the infamous "J" tag). I also saw the rebuild kit posted but I am kinda worried it might me a project to advanced for me. Anyone know a reputable Trans shop in central Texas?

Circle D Specialties Performance Torque Converters

XDkyleXD

Established Member
Hey Dusten I found a 2003 Lightning 4r100 with 40k miles for 700 buy or not buy? I do not know much about these vehicles and you seem to know your shit. So was there anything wrong with the 03 trannys?

Dusten

Established Member
for 700 its a helluva price. like chris said, i'd snag that bitch up.
To the poster with the od light blinking. that is like a check engine light. pull the codes(do a search on it, i cant remember how) and then look for what the codes mean. it could be something easy like a solenoid pack going back, or you could be ****ed. As posted, circle D is in texas and is very reputable.

XDkyleXD

Established Member
Well guys it was the sprag!
1200 bux and a week later and my lightning is back on the road.. I took it to a local shop and had them rebuild it 1200 with a 2 yr warranty sounds like a deal to me!

jbvaldez

Established Member
Mine turned out to be 2nd gear also. And it was the infamous (J1) trans. :bash:
looks like it is time for a full rebuild.

Dusten

Established Member
like others have mentioned, you're close to Circle D, just have them build it up for you.

jbvaldez

Established Member
Damn the Bad Luck

Just finished with a full the trans rebuild and now a spark plug blew out. when they started the truck. :xpl: Going to the shop now to see the damage. Mechanic stated that it had been "sleeved" before. Not sure if that means that this has been a problem before. I would assume it does.

Has anyone delt with this before? If so what is the recommended fix?

Is it better to repair or just buy new heads?

Users who are viewing this thread