NMRA EcoBoost Battle Preview 2016

EditorTurner

Established Member
0-NMRA-EcoBoost-Battle-Preview-2016-Featured.jpg

’Boost Battle
The three-event Livernois Motorsports’ EcoBoost Battle kicks off in Bradenton
By Steve Turner
Photos by Stacy Stangz, Steve Turner and courtesy of the NMRA

Can you feel the excitement? The anticipation is building. Over the winter, racers have been tweaking and tuning in preparation for the 2016 racing season. For Ford drag racing fans, the official kick-off is at Bradenton Motorsports Park in Bradenton, Florida on March 3-6 as the NMRA Ford Drag Racing season starts anew. This year’s season opener is filled with specialty classes, but it’s the Livernois Motorsports EcoBoost Battle presented by SVTPerformance.com that we are most excited about.

Specialty classes have become not only a way to add excitement to its events, but they provide a low-key introduction to the fun that is racing in the NMRA series.

“Yes, they have proven beneficial in a variety of ways with the biggest benefit of getting more enthusiasts on track. But we have also noticed the specialty classes are a fantastic gateway into our other categories,” NMRA National Event Director Rollie Miller said. “The laid-back atmosphere of the shootouts are fun but for those who want to get more serious about their racing, they tend to start looking at the NMRA championship categories.”

Of course, the NMRA wouldn’t expand the EcoBoost Battle to three of its national events this season without seeing its promise.

“…Last year was just a teaser on the potential of that category and we think there are some good rivalries brewing along with product development on the manufacturer side,” Rollie added. “Ford has been putting that engine platform in everything from an economy car to the Mustang and even the Ford GT. Its popularity is unquestionable and Livernois Motorsports stepped up once again to keep the party going.”

Clearly the solid turnout at last year’s season finale in Bowling Green, Kentucky, proved that an extended run would behoove the EcoBoost experts at Livernois Motorsports to continue as title sponsor of all three EcoBoost Battle events.

“Being the vast majority of these cars are daily drivers, we wanted to allow people to be able to experience these races without having to travel too terribly far to experience it,” Andy Ricketts, Vehicle Operations Manager at Livernois Motorsports & Engineering said. “While one race a year is nice for heavily modified cars, the average customer may opt to stay at home if the distance is too great. Now, that trip down the track isn't as far of a reach for many people. Plus, our long term plan is that this continues to grow, so introducing a broader base to it sooner, just keeps the momentum going.”

We were certainly always excited about growing the class to take advantage of the impressive EcoBoost vehicles that Ford is producing.

“It was always the goal to see this class grow to multiple events,” Travis said. “We believe they are geographically spread out enough to give a much greater number of EcoBoost owners the opportunity to come out and join in the fun.”

And fun it shall be, but with a new season brings new expectations. With the response last season, the momentum is definitely headed in the right direction on the cusp of the 2016 season.

“We decided to expand EcoBoost Battle into three events due to demand. For the past three years we have worked very hard to stay in constant contact with NMRA enthusiasts and keep an eye on the market in order to make decisions that make sense. The response leaving Bowling Green last year was overwhelming for this class and that buzz continued through the winter,” Rollie added. “We spoke with many manufacturers and performance shops as well as competitors, and we realized that expanding the Battle by two was a good thing. They are spread out across the schedule and geographically to hit different pockets of enthusiasts with all of it culminating at the biggest Ford drag race of the year with the NMRA All-Ford World Finals.”

“With three races happening this year to help further the reach of this class, we how to see a great increase in attendance,” Andy said. “With last year’s abysmal weather, we still managed to surprise the entire NMRA with the turnout of vehicles. We want to show them just how big this series can really be!”

The inaugural winner of the class definitely believes that things will be bigger at the season opener.

“Considering the field size in Bowling Green and it being the first Ecoboost Battle race I think that Bradenton will draw an even bigger field. The competition should be tighter and the cars will be going even faster,” Bill Putnam said. “That first race showed that it’s not always the fastest car that wins an event so anyone that shows does have a chance. That should help push any racer into attending that might have been on the fence about going.”

We can’t wait to see what the class will be like this season, and with any luck we’ll see some new EcoBoost rides in competition.

“I’m really hoping to see someone bring out a new Focus RS,” Travis added. “It would be a really treat to see the most performance-oriented, EcoBoost-powered car to be released thus far run.”

1-NMRA-EcoBoost-Battle-Preview-2016.jpg

The quickest EcoBoost vehicles in the country will square off at three NMRA races this season beginning at the season opener at Bradenton Motorsports Park on March 3-6, 2016.

2-NMRA-EcoBoost-Battle-Preview-2016.jpg

Bowling Green champion Bill Putnam, whose best pass thus far is an 11.44, will return to Bradenton in his Triple Yellow machine to defend his crown with the same basic combination he won with in Bowing Green. Highlighting the mods are a UPR off-road pipe, a Lund Racing nGauge, an FFtec intercooler, a Magnaflow exhaust, a D.S.S. carbon-fiber driveshaft, and Viking dampers. “The combo for the most part is the same with the exception of an NX Stage 3 Methanol kit that we added for additional fueling and cooling of the intake charge,” he said. “We’ve continued working with Lund Racing on the tune trying to get the most out of the stock turbo and engine.”

3-NMRA-EcoBoost-Battle-Preview-2016.jpg

Brad Gusler, pilot of the quickest EcoBoost Mustang on the planet, will look to run even quicker and take home a win in Bradenton. “My combo didn't change a whole lot. We added a Nitrous Express kit and we also have a larger Precision Turbo if needed, but we are not changing it for now,” Brad said. “The car is dialed in from previously running mid 10s multiple times. I’m not going to make the same mistake as Bowling Green and change too much without test time. I’m coming to win!”

4-NMRA-EcoBoost-Battle-Preview-2016.jpg

At some point this season, you might just see Livernois Motorsports’ own EcoBoost project running in the Battle. The car has run as quick as 10.88 thus far and we wouldn’t be surprise to see to run even better this season.

5-NMRA-EcoBoost-Battle.jpg

VMP Performance Business Manager BJ McCarty hopes to run consistent low-11s at around 120 mph this year in his Comp Orange 2015 EcoBoost auto, which features an FFTec turbo upgrade, a Circle D torque converter, an AEM methanol-injection system and Mickey Thompson drag radials. “I expect a large showing, not only of Mustangs but more trucks, SHOs and STs,” BJ said. “Hopefully an RS will make its way there.”

6-NMRA-EcoBoost-Battle-Preview-2016.jpg

Beefcake Racing will enter its car with the same basic combination it ran at last year’s World Finals, which includes a Lund Racing tune, an MMR CAI, a Vortech intercooler, Viking rear shocks, Race Star wheels and a Stainless Works exhaust. “We do have a few things planned to take us past the 12.1 we ran last year. A Circle D torque converter along with DeatchWerks injectors, and a larger turbo are in the works for the second race,” main man Terry “Beefcake” Reeves said. I think this year you will see several 10-second cars, and many more 11-second cars. I’m hoping to break through to the 11 second barrier, but weather will be a factor.”

7-NMRA-EcoBoost-Battle-Preview-2016.jpg

“I’m really not sure what car we'll be bringing, but I’m leaning towards the Fiesta ST. Variety is nice and I think the racers would like to see the smallest performance EcoBoost offering in action,” SVTP CEO Travis Hill said. “However, fielding a front-wheel-drive, manual car with a 1.6-liter engine may put us at slight disadvantage. Still, it's all about getting out there and having some fun with your Ford.”

Users who are viewing this thread