NJ question

grodgers

Established Member
If you get cited in NJ for a violation (say speeding - 1-14mph over the limit), it's a 2-point DMV ticket.

Now, say you take that ticket to court, plea bargain it down to a 0-point ticket (say improper lighting or some such violation), and pay the fine/court costs...

What gets reported to the insurance company - the original violation (where Insurance company will hit you with 2 eligibility points as well), or the plea deal (in this case, zero eligibility points)?

My 17-year-old got a ticket for doing 35 in a 25. The fine is $91, but trying to determine whether it's better to just pay the fine, or spend more $$ in court costs, etc. but get it reduced to zero points...

Thanks,

Gary

ralphy1798

Established Member
The insurance company gets nothing reported to them. When they renew your insurance, they go to DMV and get you history... it will show 0 points if you bargain it down to that..,

Jeff

jean

Established Member
4 years ago got seatbelt ticket (reduced from a speeding ticket by the officer on the road) in NJ .
I move to oregon and get a cobra ,my insurance got $ 400 extra a year for the seat belt ticket ,hope this year the insurance will go down,be aware.

97snake

Attorney at Law
Established Member
grodgers- you have to fight that ticket. When I was 17 yrs old I had a 1994 Ford Probe GT. I got a 2 pt. careless driving ticket and didn't fight it becasue I was told my insurance would basically go up $200 a point. WRONG. What the insurance company didn't tell me (USAA) was that I was going to lose my good student discount and safe driver discount ( os some other type of discount). Either way, that 2 point ticket cost me an insurance increase of $2600 to$3400 over 3 years. That means I basicaly paid $2400 for 2 points.

Before you go to court make sure your kid is telling you the whole truth..I remember telling my dad toned down versions of what happened in order to save my butt.:) Find out if he was polite to the cop or obnoxious and what the cop's attitude toward him was.
Also, ask other people in your area who have gone to the court how willing the prosecutor is as far as making deals- this will clue you in as to wether you should seek leagal assistance. For a 2 point violation I htink you should ba able to plead out of it yourself and prob. wind up with paying double the 91$ plus court fees.

Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread