NJ Inspection Questions

Cait

Female SVT Driver
Established Member
Hey guys, so I have a bit of a problem here.
The first day I bought my '04 Cobra I figured I'd go try to have it inspected after it was registered. The dude I bought it from is super spacey- he's in the airforce and yatta yatta it's been garaged and he only really knows how to maintain it. He's barely driven it. He tells me it has cats, yet fails to mention that they're gutted. Figured I'd just attempt to inspect it regularly. Fail inspection at the MVC, and get a paper back with "Unsupported" in every area highlighted :lol1: which wasn't a huge surprise.

Anyways, the paper tells me that I need to present it at the time of re-inspection. If I find a shop who will pass me- will I run into problems with this paper? Will I only be able to return to the MVC for inspection? Did I screw myself over by taking a shot at regular inspection? Any advice?

Last edited:

03cobraracer

Established Member
you can get reinspected at a private shop it doesn't matter where you go as long as they are a legal inspection station. you will just have to pay to have it done at a private shop. all your sensors are saying unsupported because everything is probably turned off in the tune for the car. that's how my old tune was and it said the same thing. everything has to be turned back on in the tune and then it will not read that anymore. I wouldn't try bribing anybody there that will get you in huge trouble. It used to be easy back in the day to "pay" for a sticker but these days even at the private shops most wont do it anymore for fear of getting caught and losing there license to inspect. MVC will stake out and watch shops to make sure they aren't doing anything. I also wouldn't be posting in here looking to get the "hookup" just my free advice. goodluck!

Last edited:

Cait

Female SVT Driver
Established Member
you can get reinspected at a private shop it doesn't matter where you go as long as they are a legal inspection station. you will just have to pay to have it done at a private shop. all your sensors are saying unsupported because everything is probably turned off in the tune for the car. that's how my old tune was and it said the same thing. everything has to be turned back on in the tune and then it will not read that anymore. I wouldn't try bribing anybody there that will get you in huge trouble. It used to be easy back in the day to "pay" for a sticker but these days even at the private shops most wont do it anymore for fear of getting caught and losing there license to inspect. MVC will stake out and watch shops to make sure they aren't doing anything. I also wouldn't be posting in here looking to get the "hookup" just my free advice. goodluck!

Thanks! Yeah, I know I'd have to tune it back to stock. But I figured it'd fail anyways now that I know the cats are gutted? Ahhh alright, I appreciate it!

03cobraracer

Established Member
you don't have to tune it back to stock just have it retuned and everything turned back on in the tune. talk to kevin at wicked motorsports he can retune the car and set it up right. hes in toms river, nj. 732-904-9000

Users who are viewing this thread