NJ DMV showing tune has "unsupported" for o2 sensors vmp tuning re-tune 04 cobra?

ramairfreak98ss

Established Member
It could just be the miles, so first let me ask, how many miles are required after a re-flash tune for the computer to be ready for the motor vehicle agency to scan the odb?

GMs are 50 miles, well most that i know, we drove 56 miles and it still says unsupported with a VMP tune utilizing the o2 sensors for an 04 cobra? Its normal "street/race" tune utilizes the mass air meter not the o2s so theyre usually disabled.

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member
It sounds like VMP turned off your rear o2 sensors. I could be wrong but its not gonna matter how many miles you log. Does your car have cats on it, if so you can just have VMP turn your rear sensors back on.

Blueline

Established Member
NJ allows one parameter to not set or be "unsupported" I believe. If something is turned off in the tune, it will come up as "unsupported." My 04 Cobra reset after about 10 miles, hope this helps. Everything should be turned on to pass NJ inspection.

testorossa1989

Established Member
NJ allows one parameter to not set or be "unsupported" I believe. If something is turned off in the tune, it will come up as "unsupported." My 04 Cobra reset after about 10 miles, hope this helps. Everything should be turned on to pass NJ inspection.

NY is just like that. I think your not reading correctly. When they mean "Not ready" they refer to the sensor blinking as not enough miles has been recorded, data stored or not up to par. I believe theirs 12 so your allowed 1 not ready sensor. When you refer to unsupported i think you mean the tuner turned off completely therefor you can pass. Poorly emissioned vehicles and trucks pass by nearly turning the ECU off. I think your inspection shop is giving you a ride

Last edited:

Blueline

Established Member
NY is just like that. I think your not reading correctly. When they mean "Not ready" they refer to the sensor blinking as not enough miles has been recorded, data stored or not up to par. I believe theirs 12 so your allowed 1 not ready sensor. When you refer to unsupported i think you mean the tuner turned off completely therefor you can pass. Poorly emissioned vehicles and trucks pass by nearly turning the ECU off. I think your inspection shop is giving you a ride

OP is saying that his are coming up as "unsupported" that's usually when the tuner turned that parameter off. If it reads "not ready" it means that parameter hasn't set, as if you disconnected the battery or reflashed the ECU, new tune etc...

The unsupported is never going to change regarding drive cycle, but the not ready may read ready after drive cycle is complete. :shrug:

testorossa1989

Established Member
OP is saying that his are coming up as "unsupported" that's usually when the tuner turned that parameter off. If it reads "not ready" it means that parameter hasn't set, as if you disconnected the battery or reflashed the ECU, new tune etc...

The unsupported is never going to change regarding drive cycle, but the not ready may read ready after drive cycle is complete. :shrug:

Ahh i had to read it a few times. But the computer and tune uses the front 02 sensors, i never heard of any car turning off the 02 sensors especially for the fronts. Something doesnt sound right here or the OP isnt being told the correct info. I had to read that post 4 times to understand it and even then im still confused :??:

Any chance you have a P1000 drive cycle code?

Last edited:
OP when did you get your tune done?

Was it done before 2010? The emissions aspect of passing inspection in NJ changed in 2010.

Long and short of it, any tune you got before 2010 is simply not going to pass...

You have to find yourself a tuner that understands how to construct a tune that will pass the NJ DMV inspection. That's your issue.

Blueline

Established Member

Was it done before 2010? The emissions aspect of passing inspection in NJ changed in 2010.

Long and short of it, any tune you got before 2010 is simply not going to pass...

You have to find yourself a tuner that understands how to construct a tune that will pass the NJ DMV inspection. That's your issue.

/\ Rob is correct!

Last edited:

Blueline

Established Member
Ahh i had to read it a few times. But the computer and tune uses the front 02 sensors, i never heard of any car turning off the 02 sensors especially for the fronts. Something doesnt sound right here or the OP isnt being told the correct info. I had to read that post 4 times to understand it and even then im still confused :??:

Any chance you have a P1000 drive cycle code?

LoL I know what your saying, that's why I re -read it after your post, I was like did I miss something :??:

testorossa1989

Established Member

Thats very interesting. Why is that? Do you happen to have a link i can do some reading up on

ramairfreak98ss

Established Member

Sounds legit... i've only seen "not ready" statuses in our GM cars... and Justin from VMP DID just create a tune for me to turn all this stuff on, which i just uploaded via the sct tuner 56 miles ago. The car has only been turned on/off 4-6 times since then, but if your saying it will never become ready in the unsupported status, then maybe vmp needs to re-do the tune? I ONLY need this tune to pass the inspection, i'll change it back as soon as i get my sticker.

ramairfreak98ss

Established Member

Well i assumed vmp knew what i needed by turning it all back on.. maybe a simple error. Honestly i don't care how bad the car runs, as long as i can drive it a few miles to the dmv, roll in, hook up to odb, pass and roll out and re-upload new tune. I mean my 99 GTP passed years ago when just before i ran 11s. with hell egr removed, and all that crap, but still ran off o2s and all.

VMP did the tune around 08 i think, and the car had NO cats, added bassani x pipe back on with high flow cats, has all 4 o2 sensors still in the pipe. I'm assuming thats all that needs to operate?

FiveOhJoe

Established Member
I passed a similar inspection here in illinois with pretty much everything showing up as "NOT SUPPORTED". Tuned by Kurgan. I think that only thing that is supported are the ECU and Fuel. No EGR or cats so similar to what a TVS setup would be like from an emissions standpoint.

Users who are viewing this thread