Nitto RII vs. Kuhmo VictoRacer

tgentry

Got Boost?
Established Member
Does anyone here have experience with these two tires? My old Kuhmo's are done and the price on the Nitto's is attractive. How do they compare in grip and wear?

SnkBtn99

Speeding bullet!!
Established Member
I just ran the RII Extremes at Authobahn for the first time. Was very pleased with their performance. Cannot speak to the Kumhos.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
tgentry said:
Does anyone here have experience with these two tires? My old Kuhmo's are done and the price on the Nitto's is attractive. How do they compare in grip and wear?

Tom:

I bought some Kumho V-710's for my VIR trip last year and I was pretty impressed with them. I had a bit of a tread separation issue with them and Tire-Rack didn't seem to be too excited about doing anything about it. So I tried some Nitto 555 RII's and I was very disappointed with them as compared to the Kumho. I realize one tire is a slick and the other is not but there's a huge difference in the two tires. Some say the Nitto's will get better once some of the tread is off of them so I'll just have to see?

I'm going back to the V-710's.

My .02 cents.

:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

Last edited:

jimwood

Established Member
The nittos do improve quite a bit as they wear in. I have 4 1/2 (rainy day is the 1/2) events on these tires and they probaly have one or two days left at most. How well do the Kuhmos wear?

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
jimwood said:
The nittos do improve quite a bit as they wear in. I have 4 1/2 (rainy day is the 1/2) events on these tires and they probaly have one or two days left at most. How well do the Kuhmos wear?

It's kind of hard to tell because I have mixed in a lot of other tires that need burning up. But I would say you're looking at 3-5 weekends for the Kumho V-710's? Depending on how many 3 day weekends are included in that? :thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

Cobra-R

Established Member
ac427cobra said:
It's kind of hard to tell because I have mixed in a lot of other tires that need burning up. But I would say you're looking at 3-5 weekends for the Kumho V-710's? Depending on how many 3 day weekends are included in that? :thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

Bruce,
FYI, Victoracers are not V710's. :poke:

Tom,
With using Toyo RA1 with nasa's Ai race series, I really like those tires in feel and wear. I have been told (cannot tell you for sure though) that the nitto's are the same compound. Bruce (and I) have only driven on full tread depth Nitto's, not a fair comparison in my opinion.

If I was buying a good sticky tire today, I would but the V710 like Bruce mentioned. If I was buying a great performing tire that will wear a long time, I would buy the Toyo RA1's (or the 555 II's, shaved) if they are really the same compound.

Brian

tgentry

Got Boost?
Established Member
Actually 710's are fair game too. I'm not sure what the real differences are between the Kuhmo competition tires.

Where do you guys get your Toyo's? Is the price comparable to the Nitto's?

Decisions, decisions. Of course if I went through a set a day like Brian this decision would be so much easier. :poke:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Cobra-R said:
Bruce,
FYI, Victoracers are not V710's. :poke:
Brian

I know that silly!!! That's why I specifically noted the V-710's!! :dw: I've never been on a Victoracer?!?! :shrug:

I've been pretty spoiled with tire grip as you know and the V-710's give me pretty much what I have become accustomed to. But DAMN those things are heavy!!! :eek:

Users who are viewing this thread