Nitto NT01,555r ,555r2 or NT05R?

Blacksmoke

Established Member
With 535 rwhp the performance tires aren't nearly doing the job at ALL.
Saying that...trying to decide if the Nitto road course radial or drag radial would be better.

Wanting something that will REALLY grip on the street, letting me finally launch at more than 2k RPM, but would like something that would not make for hazardous driving if we happen to get caught in the rain two times a yr, freeway or not.
Also something that would be ok at a normal curve in the road at increased speed. Straight street grip is the most important feature with the other two evenly right behind.

Have also considered the 555r and 555r2 as well.
Need some knowledge and input from my forum buds!

Thanks!

FX4ALL

Established Member
I'm only at 487whp 481trq and run the 555R in the 305/40 size.

I had NTO 08 GT500 wheels & tires prior to getting the Nittos. They hook much better then the GY F1's and seem to handle a corner fine. I don't autocross, but I tend to take a curve at a pretty good clip and haven't noticed any difference between them and the GYs.

I have next to no experience with them in the rain. ..only been in a very light rain and they handled it fine.

sgt d

tejas mile!!!!!!!!
Established Member
had the nto5 dr, hooked great however it will not take a year for you to realize that they are hazardous. i could not drive in the rain period, tires wore very quickly as well but that was expected, all in all in the dry weather they hooked great.

got rid of them and put the stockers back on so i could drive the car without worry, just my .02

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
michellin pilot super sport or Toyo R888s.

if budget is a concern, go with 555R. more water grooves than NT05 and will last longer. you wont have any issues taking corners on the street. they'll be fine. you still need to be careful if caught in the wet though.

what tires are you on right now?

BLK93GT

Established Member
I am trying to decide myself, but I have an SVTPP car so it makes it even more of a PITA and the tires are outrageously priced. I may just get 555R.

SVTCruz

Established Member
I had the NT05 on my 475RWHP 410RWTQ 04 mach 1. They handled great in the rain (70mph) and on turns. I am getting a Cobra soon and plan on giving the NT05R's a try. I would still spin in first with 25 psi in the rear

ShelbyKid

It sounds stock..
Established Member
Have the 555R's on the svtpp wheels and love them. going on 10 months now....will be replacing in another month or two.

time capsule

Established Member
NT05R's for me. Just took my first road trip 150 miles away and got caught in some decent rain. Just drove slow and in the right lane. I was fine. Just treat wet roads like it is black ice and you will be fine.

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
555r is the perfect compromise in summer traction, hooks great when dry but not suicide in the rain either. On my second year with then and still have plenty of tread left, only drive about 3-4k a year. I'm thinking of trying the r888 next though, supposed to hook and be awesome in the rain.

Allan Byrd

Established Member
I run the NTO5R's on mine, 2012 SVTPP all stock, whatever that rwhp is. I like them a lot better from the dead stop. As stated above, I still spin a bit in 1st, but I can now hard shift into second, and it will lay a couple marks 3' to 5' and then grab hard. Don't have a problem with them in the rain. I am guessing the problems with driving in the rain might be attributed to air pressure. Just a guess, I had no problems. But where I didn't not like them was cornering. I had them twice get a little squirrely while cornering at high speeds. Scared the crap out of me.

BLK93GT

Established Member
I run the NTO5R's on mine, 2012 SVTPP all stock, whatever that rwhp is. I like them a lot better from the dead stop. As stated above, I still spin a bit in 1st, but I can now hard shift into second, and it will lay a couple marks 3' to 5' and then grab hard. Don't have a problem with them in the rain. I am guessing the problems with driving in the rain might be attributed to air pressure. Just a guess, I had no problems. But where I didn't not like them was cornering. I had them twice get a little squirrely while cornering at high speeds. Scared the crap out of me.

What size?

Allan Byrd

Established Member
What size?

They are 315/35/20 on a stock SVTPP wheel. They are tall, and to be honest, I was running 40psi in them which might not have been a real good combination with them being so tall. It also could have had something to do with the road I was on. Not real sure. The only one thing that I am sure about, it skeered the chit out of me.

Last edited:

Blacksmoke

Established Member
The Toyo R888s won't fit with stock wheels tho if using 305's though right?
I heard they are much wider than normal 305's and won't work with the stock 18x9.5's
True?

Users who are viewing this thread