Nitto NT-01 vs. 555 RII

TroyV

Brakes only slow you down
Established Member
Hi Chris, quick question...

Besides the tread design, what are the differences between these tires? The treadware is 100 on both.

I have run the RII for a full season of autox and found them to take just a little too long to heat up to proper temps in a run.

By comparison, I ran the next season on Kumho V710's which were fantastic out of the box but had a tendency to overheat late in a run.

What does the NT-01 have that the RII does not?

Thanks

Chris@DTD

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
The carcass and tread design are different.

They are both primarily road race tires rather than Auto-X. I haven't recieved enough feedback about this tire in Auto-X to sway one way or another.

I've talked to a few of the people who participated in the Ride and Drive at California Speedway when these were first released. Everyone was pretty happy with the responsiveness and ability to take heat that these had.

Thanks,

Chris

TroyV

Brakes only slow you down
Established Member
Thanks for the info. It is hard for me because the courses are a lot faster and longer than your standard parking lot autox. When I finally got the RII's up to temp on the last third of the 2 mile course, they'd bite very well. The NT has it over the RII I think just based on the look of the tread. It looks like there is a higher percentage of surface area in the contact patch. That may actually serve to have the tire heat a little faster...though I'm not really sure.

Chris@DTD

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Interesting problem you have... Too long for an Auto-X tire, too short for a RR tire. :(

I agree with you there, there's less void area so theoretically it should hold heat better.

Users who are viewing this thread